Je ne comprends pa Francais


Advertisement
France's flag
Europe » France » Rhône-Alpes » Lyon
April 8th 2006
Published: April 8th 2006
Edit Blog Post

Bonsoir!

We have arrived in France at last!! (Okay, so it has been nearly two days since we landed, and the journey on the plane only took one hour and thirty minutes but this is a travel blog and it is our duty to entertain you, so there!!)

Anyway. So. France!!!!

France is French! It is a very old, well-established awesome place and it is beautiful. It is getting stranger and stranger with each day we are here; more and more things about France are quirky and we are treading in more and more dog poo and smoking more and more cigarettes and drinking more and more alcohol.

All the things people have told you about France are probably true. There are people walking dogs absolutely everywhere - they go on public transport, they hang out at cafes and pubs with their owners everywhere and seem to hang out in handbags quite a bit. Everybody here smokes cigarettes - the ground is littered with butts - you smoke at dinner between meals; you smoke waiting for the train and the bus and the tram..

They are quite uppity too (is uppity a word?) everybody speaks really formally; people tend to look you up and down before serving you, they push in front of you in queues - they beep their horns and drive like wild animals all over the road and in the dog poo..

But France itself is gorgeous and the cuisine is fantastic. We have just gotten back from dinner - traditional Lyonnaise cuisine - 'Bouchon' as is is called here.. We walked to the old part of town to eat and it was so romantic! The cobble stone streets look like diagon alley - those classic scenes you see of people dining under the glow of soft lighing outdoors with bottles of wine - we just did that and it was really beautiful 😊

We havent seen that much of Lyon yet - our sightseeing day is Tuesday so that will be cool - we are going up to Grenoble tomorrow which is in the French Alps so we have a lot to do in the next few days and we will definitely fill the blog with more pictures once all is seen and done 😊 Apparently, they are expecting a cold front in the alps and we might get snow so fingers crossed!

So far our big highlight was going to this vintage market today in Lyon - the thing was enormous and absolutely overflowing with classic, gorgeous clothing and homewares - everything was so retro - there were so many polka dots Felicity would have been so happy here - it was amazing!

Another highlight is free public transport! Okay, well it isnt exactly free, as in, we should be paying for it - but they just dont care here - public transport is so efficient that buses trains and trams arrive to pick you up every five minutes or so and nobody ever checks to see if you have a ticket - it is great! (Sorry Mum - naughty I know!) Another thing I love is that you can buy a bottle of wine here for 1.70 Euro. That works out to like, 2.30 australian - and it is really good wine! You get it in the supermarkets here - in fact, there seems to be more alcohol in the supermarket than food!

All lots and lots of fun and enjoyment 😊

Okay... belly full of French food and French wine now - gotta get up to leave for the alps tomorrow morning but I just wanted to say hello and love to everybody - will update this in a few days and until then keep posting the comments!!!

Au revoir!

Lotsa love, Kristy and Susan xx

Advertisement



9th April 2006

Hey gorgeous girls! We've just LOVED reading through your last few blogs. Sounds and looks like you are both having just an awesome time. The photos you've taken are just amazing!!! Can't wait to see you here in Tokyo soon.....counting down the days!
13th April 2006

Jealous!
Hey tere guys I've just finished reading through the blog....very jealous...make sire that you have a jambon and fromage for me!!

Tot: 0.057s; Tpl: 0.008s; cc: 10; qc: 46; dbt: 0.0346s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb