Brighton is a place on Earth


Advertisement
Iceland's flag
Europe » Iceland
April 7th 2006
Published: April 7th 2006
Edit Blog Post

BrightonBrightonBrighton

The promenade at brighton
If I die and have been a good girl, then Heaven will most definitely be Brighton.

You walk along the beach and it is nothing but pebbles - no sand - it is amazing! The feeling of the rock crunching underfoot is something I can't really describe, and the sound that the water makes as it pulls back through all the pebbles is hypnotic! People lay all over the place, sleeping with a can of beer beside them.. my place to be - there really is no question!

Walking along the promenade beside the ocean, there are seafood carts selling the freshest mussels, prawns, funny snail things etc. in little cups with vinegar and seafood sauce and tabasco and stuff - you pay one pound fifty for a cup and walk along looking out over the water eating the seafood - bliss!

We stopped after looking at all the promenade stalls and sat at the entrance to this snazzy gay nightclub, and we shared a jug of pimms and just watched the world go by. We finished up there a little bit tipsy and went in behind the scenes at Brighton into the narrow lane ways with their
Fish LadyFish LadyFish Lady

Buggy selling freshly caught seafood
cute little bricked roads into the coolest series of shops, like, ever!

After spending forty quid we walked back to the pier which I just would not have believed until I saw it: - it was a pre-war style carnival, decked out with carousel, rollercoasters, dodgems, side stalls selling rock candy and candy floss (as they call it). The pier was flanked by old fashioned pubs and there were games arcades and kids running around everywhere.. the pubs were set out, overlooking the ocean and it was absolutely amazing - a full-time fun park!!!

We had a play around there and drank a few beers (Susan got a pint of snakebite!!) and then decided to go up for a traditional seaside dinner of battered fish, yorkshire pudding, mushy peas and gherkin!! We watched the sunset over the pier as these wild black birds called starlings flew around in the thousands, making this trippy, eerie kind of wave dance over the whole of the pier - they apparently dance for a while on sunset and then sleep under the pier at night to keep safe..

Brighton is the gay mecca of England - there are spunky queer people
PebblesPebblesPebbles

Pebbles on the beach
everywhere - you simply can't have the coolest hair or be the only gay in the Village, no matter how hard you try..

All the shops have pride flags on the doors and every secong club is almost exclusively queer. And for all this, the people are really laid back and friendly - there were Mums pushing babies and people walking labradors (yes Charlie!) and old folks drinking at the gay bars - it was absolutely astonishing.

And I loved every second of it. And I will see to it personally that I take you all back there with me in time!

Hope you like the piccies!

Lots of love,

Kristy, future resident of East Sussex
xxx


Additional photos below
Photos: 7, Displayed: 7


Advertisement

Lower PromenadeLower Promenade
Lower Promenade

Looking down onto the beach
CarouselCarousel
Carousel

Amazing moment in time...
The LanesThe Lanes
The Lanes

Cobble Stoned roads in Brighton
On the PierOn the Pier
On the Pier

Alan, Susan, Kristy and Susan!


8th April 2006

Bloody cold here!
Great to read your blog and see what a fantastic time you have been having. Weren't Alan and Susan wonderful!! Hope your good time continues in the south of France. All's well here, doing lots of walking. Charlie happy running two houses! feeling so cold already, hope the blood soon starts to thicken up or I'm moving back to the tropics! Great blog, great pictures! Love to you both.
8th April 2006

lovin heading your way
Trev is lazy and won't type this herself but she wants me to send loving your way! Keep the blogs up! big kisses XXXX
10th April 2006

:)
hey guys, hope all is well, looks like a very nice place! I started my new job on friday night! it kinda sucks, but it happens, anyways, you guys have fun, and i will chat toi you soon!

Tot: 0.112s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 12; qc: 50; dbt: 0.0463s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb