Nearly Xmas


Advertisement
France's flag
Europe » France » Rhône-Alpes » Lyon
December 13th 2004
Published: December 13th 2004
Edit Blog Post

Grrrrr so my whole blog entry just got deleted. SO annoying. Sigh, here we go again!

Hey everyone!

I can’t believe it is December already. Exams are over (thank goodness) and I am very pleased that I never have to study at this organisationally challenged university ever again! Honestly it has nearly killed us several times this semester.

On a more positive note, I spent a wonderful weekend a few weeks back with my old host family down in the Ardèche. Torse, Keiran and I had visited the valrhona chocolate factory on the friday near Tournon where I went to school, and I spent the rest of the weekend with the Matieus. It was lovely to see all the family again, and the changes they are making to the house etc. Went out for dinner on the friday night with Mallory, her boyfriend Olivier and his friend. It was great to be speaking proper French again, and the friendship with Mallory was surprisingly easily renewed. I’d been a little worried, but it was great. I guess everyone grows up huh?! We had a big family dinner on Saturday with my little host cousins who are no longer so little! Virginie who was 5 is now 10, and Geoffrey is 15! It was cool to see them again. It was wonderful also to have time on saturday just to chat with my host mum Agnès, just like old times. I got the train back on sunday afternoon, tired but extremely contented. Eamonn and I have been invited down there for New year, so that could be fun.

Its getting to the time now when everyone is packing up and leaving, and good byes are looming. Not a very appealing prospect. Cat left on saturday, (with half the clothing population of Europe I think (just kidding cat honey!) after a hectic few days of getting stuff organised and ready to go. We had a lovely farewell dinner on friday night at an Italian place, who when initially full, gave us hot mulled wine outside while we waited.

Lyon is extraordinarily beautiful at the moment, despite the freezing temperatures. The lights festival was last week, and the lit up building façades were stunning. Many of the lights are still up, it is quite magical. There are many installations all around the city.

On sunday we had a cour des muses (our appt building) day after a party at Jenny’s (one of the aussies) on saturday night. We rugged up and trekked up to the parc in the afternoon to see a puppet show (which was cancelled!) but ended up visiting the flamingos again before getting waffles smeared in hot melted chocolate to munch on! Mmmm. That night we went out for a posh French dinner at ‘Les Enfants Terribles’, the food was magnificent. (Ems, you’d be proud, the venison was perfectly cooked!).

Today I saw a lung specialist (asthma has been playing up again), exciting stuff…NOT! But tomorrow evening I’m off to Paris, staying the night in a hostel before meeting Eamonn at the airport at 6am on Weds morning! Honestly, no consideration for my necessary winter beauty sleep. Really though I just hope I find the right terminal! Paris is a little scary…much bigger than Lyon! Its very exciting though, so will fill you in on our (hopefully) fun-filled adventures in paris when we get back to Lyon on the 20th. Am hoping to see Camille (a French AFS girl who was our liason student in NZ a couple of years ago) sometime before New year since she lives quite close to Lyon. Well Geneva anyway!

We’re having 7 people for xmas in our apartment which should be interesting but great fun. Somewhat of a culinary challenge though considering all we have is 2 elements to cook with! Torse and I suspect a number of salads might be involved! Any suggestions for easy yummy stuff appreciated!

Anyway better go, was supposed to leave early and go to the bank, but that will have to wait till tomorrow. Along with xmas market shopping!

Anyway guys, tons of love as always, I hope all is going really well, some news if you get a chance is always appreciated.

Hugs, Sam xxoo


Advertisement



Tot: 0.062s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 9; qc: 48; dbt: 0.0298s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb