hehe whoops!


Advertisement
France's flag
Europe » France » Rhône-Alpes » Lyon
November 17th 2004
Published: November 17th 2004
Edit Blog Post

sorry pressed enter by accident!

So anyway....I think Terezin was even more moving because it was freezing cold the day we went, which just rubbe din how terrible it must have been to be living there. The bunks were crowded together, and were just wooden slats, 3 or 4 high.

The museum there was excellent, retaining the dignity of the people who were imprisoned there, while still evoking the awful history of the time. The thing that really got me was the vividness of the colours and materials...somehow it really brought back how recent all this stuff was. The objects hadn't decayed, and there were many paintings done by the children held there too. These were the most moving for me, as each one had the name of the child atrist under it and whether or not they had survived. The vast majority did not, and it freaked me out when I noticed many of them had died on the same day, Oct 28, my birthday, at Auschwitz. terrible.

Enough depressing stuff now! On the thursday night we had an awesome dinner at this place called Dahab, that the Drs at the hospital had recommended to the med students. The owner was our waiter, and we had a very silly very fun night, with Qwavcky and Ogryi, two plastic monsters that came with ice cream in them for desert. They gave us free entrees and one of the waiters gave us his phone number if we wanted to go out! It was pretty funny.

Overall the Czech food was a bit hard to manage for too long. it is very rich, and very low in vegetables. the goulash soup os awesome though! And we discovered this great strawberry and almond muesli. One tip though, don't eat the hot dogs from any of the stalls, even if they look fine. ergh. had to try absinthe while we were there too, you can get it everywhere. Very powerful stuff, i didn't lind it too much, tim is a bit of an expert at making it taste better (lots and lots of sugar!) but its pretty foul. Once is enough!

When we visited Prague castle, we were lucky enough to catch a Vivaldi/schumann concert in the small romanesque basilica there. quite a magical atmosphere but so cold!!! Cath, Lauren torse and I all snuggled together on the bench and covered ourselves with one of lauren's 2 pashs (oh pasmina that is, they were shortened to pash cos lauren has 2 and she almso managed to find two boys in one night with who she could use the other sense of the word if you get my drift. Anyway In the middle of this concert torse was trying to discretely take a photo, forgot to turn off her flash, flashed in this darkened basilica and very loudly went "F***!!" It was pretty funny cos somehow it seemed worse to use a flash than to swear in this church!

Czech is a very difficult language even just to imitate! The only things we managed were yes (ano, can get you into trouble if you hesitate! lauren got a second double shot of some awful liquer this way!) and krishti zastovka namesti miru (next stop namesti miru, spelt phonetically!). Oh and also the name of a tram stop, IP Pavlova, which when said sounds like Hyper (eepair) pavlova with a french accent!

I know this is horribly long, sorry guys, I hope you are all enjoying life, finished exams, and all set for a great summer. I probably won't get to write in this much with exams looming, but will try and do smaller ones more often, rather than having to set aside a whole hour to catch up on it all.
Lots of love to you all,
Sam xxoo

Advertisement



Tot: 0.057s; Tpl: 0.017s; cc: 5; qc: 43; dbt: 0.0254s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb