Day 18 Sault to Forcalquier 34 miles


Advertisement
Published: May 29th 2014
Edit Blog Post

D950 all the way to Forcalquier

A pleasant stay in the centre of Sault & at dinner were joined by many other cyclists who were on a tour.

In the morning the square was filled with market stalls & made a colourful scene.

This stage of the cycle we passed many fields of lavender passing through a long valley filled with rocky outcrops & small pine forests. The colours of the wild flowers vibrant. Looking over our left shoulder we could see & sense Mont Ventoux with its white peak against the skyline. We were gradually climbing all the time the scenery changing the steep- sided valley sides covered in gnarled ,stunted trees with stone walls stopping the edges collapsing onto the road.We stopped for coffee in the old village of Banon after a long gradual descent.

There is an internationally famous bookshop here called Le Bleuet which draws visitors from all over France .

It was a lovely undulating ride. After this though the overall trend was downwards until we reached the blue-green waters of a reservoir where we made the final climb to our destination in Forcalquier a town built around the slopes of a conical hill.

After booking in to our Chambre d'Hote ,a shower, we then cycled the short distance into the town for dinner. Wow what a difference cycling without panniers it felt as though we were cycling on air.


Additional photos below
Photos: 23, Displayed: 22


Advertisement



29th May 2014

Close ups?!
Can we have some close ups please could be anyone out there in cycle kit.....if you can't recognise your own husband how can we be be expected too.......!!!! We are up in the alps ( Paul not happy seeing snow when he want s to see sand and sea!) missed you by not many days/ miles in different circumstances.would loved to have seen you. Staying in Chamonix. Mount blanc tunnel tomorrow and onto Florence area. Love jillx

Tot: 0.202s; Tpl: 0.018s; cc: 9; qc: 50; dbt: 0.0418s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.3mb