Day 17 Chateauneuf du Pape to Sault 42 miles


Advertisement
Published: May 28th 2014
Edit Blog Post

D192 to Bedarrides,D16,D87 to Monteux,D942 to Sault .

The Chambre d'Hote was a lovely old house in the centre of Chateauneuf du Pape run by a charming lady who is an internationally known Sommellier who made us feel very much at home.

On leaving the town this morning in bright sunshine we cycled passed quiet vineyards & evidence of modern wine production before passing through the very busy town of Carpentras passing the signs to Mont Ventoux.

Many cycling fans remember the death of Tom Simpson in 1967 just 2k from the top of Mont Vontoux who had been the first British rider to wear the yellow jersey of the Tour de France leader. Adored by British sports fan he had previously won Sports personality of the year.

The next stage of our cycle took us into the Gorges de la Nesque arguably the best 30 k you can ride in the whole of France with its perfect gradient & spectacular views. The road appears to cling to the cliff face as it winds it's way round.After 14k we passed under a lovely arch & just around the corner the only sign of civilisation,a modest house tucked into the cliff side selling honey.

The route seemed never ending around every corner you could see the next section that had to be negotiated.1k from the top two tunnels (thankfully short) had been blasted through the rock .Getting to the top was very satisfying to know we had just

ascended nearly 800mts without dismounting.The view opened out to wide & open valley where we picnicked, again smelling the wild thyme. Our destination the old town of Sault visible in the distance.

The flat plains of the Sault valley were full of crops of lavender,sadly not in flower.

The cycle ride today had a sting in its tail as the road up to Sault was quite steep but again not needing to dismount so we must be getting fitter. Mark says my bottom is getting smaller so that must be a good thing !


Additional photos below
Photos: 21, Displayed: 21


Advertisement



28th May 2014

Fantastique!
What a wonderful country and what a wonderful way to see it.

Tot: 0.231s; Tpl: 0.016s; cc: 8; qc: 51; dbt: 0.0576s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.3mb