Sightseeing in Marseille


Advertisement
France's flag
Europe » France » Provence-Alpes-Côte d'Azur
September 22nd 2012
Published: September 23rd 2012
Edit Blog Post

Day 3



Our first full day in France. It was beautiful day with a forecast of 27 degrees. We had a wonderful breakfast at the hotel with cereal, breads, croissants, juice and coffee. All prepared for a full day. Being a Saturday morning there was streetmarket. Dion bought a straw hat which suits him very much.

We went down to the Old Port and bought our boat tickets to the afternoon trip to the Chateau D'If. We then had a nice morning tea at a nearby cafe and the walked around the town and got a modern tram. It took us to the modern port and then we came back to Rue de la Republique to walk to the archeologicalmuseum. It had a very good Eyptian section which included a mummified childs'shand, an ibis and a crocodile. After the Museum we had lunch under the trees of bread and salad. We hadas one pigeons for company. We returned to the old port via the massive new cathedral which was built in the 1850s.

The boat trip was quite calm and we got a good view of the coastline. There were quite a few boats out enjoying thebeautiful weather.

The Chateau D'If is an imposing buildingstanding on the rocky outcrop of an island. It is not ominous looking due to the very bright whitestone of the island and fortress. The building was well looked after with each cell having a story about its most famous inmate. The view from the parapet was very panoramic.On returning to the port everyone's energy sagged and weselected to return to the hotel rather than trying one more sight to see.

After a rest we journeyed our to a local cafetoff dinner. Rhonda had a local fish, Evan had a massivehamburger, Dion a pizza and I had a seafood risotto. We all struggled with the amount of food that in the end defeated us. We were in bed by 8.30pm and most a sleep shortly thereafter.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.248s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 10; qc: 49; dbt: 0.0402s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.3mb