Last day in Nice


Advertisement
France's flag
Europe » France » Provence-Alpes-Côte d'Azur » Vence
November 6th 2009
Published: November 6th 2009
Edit Blog Post

For our last full day, we took the bus to Vence, just north of Saint Paul. It's a city very like Saint Paul, with an old town part and residential parts. Some people live in the old town too. But maybe because it was a cloudy and chilly day, and there were very few people about, it didn't seem quite as enchanting as Saint Paul. We only walked around for a little while before hopping on the bus back to Saint Paul.

Even there, it was very quiet. A few groups of men, old and young, playing boules. I read about this game before, something like bowling but on dirt ground and with very small balls. Apparently the fun part is arguing vigorously about everyone's throw. And only men play. We saw all this during the few minutes we stood and watched. Seems like a fun thing to do. I wonder how our US bowling champions would fare in this game.

In Saint Paul we stopped at a gallery and bought a painting and few other things. Something to remember the trip by. I'm looking forward to having it on the walls at home and always remember this trip every time I look at it.

Back at the apartment, instead of going out to an expensive dinner, I decided to cook an elaborate dinner. Fish, pasta, string beans and salad. It took a lot of elbow grease to cut and grind, but the final results were good. Finished off with some fresh apple and fruit tart from the local bakery. It's the next morning and now I'm still feeling full.

I don't want to leave. =( I know we won't be coming back here any time soon as our next vacation will be somewhere we haven't been. Maybe when we are much older, after retirement, we will come back and remember all of this. Wouldn't that be nice? We could still stroll down the streets of Nice hand in hand, and remember how we took all this in when we were young.








Additional photos below
Photos: 14, Displayed: 14


Advertisement

street signstreet sign
street sign

No dog poop, some artist using their skill for the common good
local artlocal art
local art

Somebody make their water main into a sculptur
Saint Paul in the distanceSaint Paul in the distance
Saint Paul in the distance

We almost missed the stop but where we got dropped off, it was this gorgeous view. Lucky.
The view from the living room windowThe view from the living room window
The view from the living room window

I look at this every morning, even now, as I sit on the sofa. It's something I'd like to remember.


Tot: 0.065s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 10; qc: 49; dbt: 0.038s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb