A superb drive from Le Bourg d’Oisans to Volonne.


Advertisement
France's flag
Europe » France » Provence-Alpes-Côte d'Azur » Sisteron
September 8th 2016
Published: September 8th 2016
Edit Blog Post

Yesterday’s drive was good. Today’s was brilliant. So scenic we had to stop several times just to admire. Another drop dead gorgeous blue sky day as well and if anything slightly hotter than before.

We left Le Bourg d’Oisans via the Col d’Ornon. Not too scary a route and we saw a bus stop so other big vehicles obviously use it too. Such a pretty route though. The sun was perfectly located to brighten everything and the scenery was wonderful in all directions with mountains and towering rocks appearing round every bend as well as glimpses of lakes and rivers and dried river beds. Absolutely stunning. All very green and lush and pretty villages to drive through too. Love the sight of alpine chalets, decorated with geraniums and with a backdrop of a mountain and the camera enjoyed them too.

We stopped for lunch at Corps. We’ve been through this pretty town before and admired it but today there was a parking spot so we grabbed it and had a wander through the town after we’d eaten.

Then we headed south to Gap. Been this way before but it is still as lovely a drive. Right through Gap from one side and out the other and from there down to Sisteron where the scenery changes, the mountains and bright green grass turn more golden as we approach the hotter and dry south. Today we had a treat as we saw the town from the other side of the river as the road to Volonne is on the East side so we crossed the bridge to drive south along the Valance river.

Our campsite is 5* Sunelia l’Hippocampe. Absolutely excellent. Very big pitch next back from the river. Pool complex is superb and restaurant looks good so we will try it tomorrow.

Only one problem and that is mossies. Big biting mossies. Had to retreat inside at dinnertime and have stayed inside with all blinds firmly shut. These are man-eaters. Bob has the bites to prove it.

Dinner tonight was fillet steak. That was rather a treat.


Additional photos below
Photos: 25, Displayed: 23


Advertisement



Tot: 0.316s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 29; qc: 47; dbt: 0.2241s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.3mb