Another one for the internet


Advertisement
France's flag
Europe » France » Provence-Alpes-Côte d'Azur » Saint-Raphael » Brugge
November 12th 2006
Published: November 12th 2006
Edit Blog Post

I was just in the middle of writing an angsty letter to Robert about the distance between human beings. I cited rudeness to strangers in foreign places, religious intolerance and the way that people manage to have glazed eyes on the subway--essentially ignoring other people. I was sick of it.

And then came Couchsurfing.com.

I had read about this website during some of my travel research. It was a way to bring traveling strangers together by linking a traveler with a host who can provide a couch or futon or bed for the night for free.

So we tried it--and its been fabulous. Adam had found and been in contact via email with our host, Griet; who we met at the town square this afternoon. She brought us back to her cozy place near the heart of Brugge. We chatted about traveling, shared pictures and stories and soon found ourselves in a completely new world. This got me thinking about worlds: how most of the time we live inside of it, never leaving our own comfort zone, and here is a woman who stretches outside of hers and draws other travelers into it. We are sleeping under a roof of a person we didnt know before today. And that is the essence of defeating the idea of a stranger. Taking in someone in need, giving them hospitality, and turning a stranger into a friend.

Couchsurfers unite: turn a stranger into a friend.




Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement



13th November 2006

Germany
Hi Rachel - Tried to E-mail you but don't know if it was successful. Wanted to let you know that Ken has a cousin living near Heidelberg and wanted to know if you would want his address in case you are near there. Following your blogs and loving reading every word. Keep it up. Love from Virginia Beach. - Nancy

Tot: 0.2s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 16; qc: 75; dbt: 0.0938s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb