Day 6


Advertisement
France's flag
Europe » France » Provence-Alpes-Côte d'Azur » Nice
October 23rd 2006
Published: October 25th 2006
Edit Blog Post

The theme for today was "wrong place at the wrong time." I'll explain a little later. Like the other day, today was a travel day. We took a five and a half hour train ride to Nice from Avignon. It wasn't the TGV so it took a lot longer then maybe it could have since we stopped along the way. It was a rainy day in Nice. We arrived and there were puddles everywhere. Since most of the day was lost to the train ride we didn't really know what to do after dropping our packs off at the hostel. Our hostel was in the center of the city right next to a pieton (a street where people walk with street restaurants and little shops). The building where our hostle was was a little tiny strip in between a street restaurant and a store. (it was strange later trying to unlock the door right next to someone trying to eat their dinner) The hostel was up three flights of stairs and after walking their from the train station it was an unwelcome surprise. But, the place was unique in that it was more like an appartment then a hostle. The woman who ran the hostel was very helpful and spoke english pretty well. It was nice to finally talk with one of the natives for a bit. Just to discribe the hostel a bit, it was basically a small hall with doors on either side and at the end of the hall was a small room with a shower. On the left as you enter the hostel was the woman's bedroom/living room where she seemed to always have the TV on. On the right was the kitchen/office where she let us use the internet for free when it wasn't buisness hours. Our room was like the fourth door on the right. It was more like living in the woman's home than a hostle. During the day she had her 18 month old granddaughter playing and laughing in the hall. She also had a cross-eyed siamese cat. She was a sweet cat and was supposedly 10 yrs old but didn't look it at all. It was quite an experience.

After dropping off our packs, we wandered around in the rain trying to find something to do. It was wet, but we had a beautiful view of the mediteranian (sp?) sea. We walked really far to get to the a museum just to find that it was closed on Monday. This is why we dubbed the day "wrong place at the wrong time," plus we had a hard time finding anything. We ended up walking all the way back to the hostel and just taking advantage of the free internet to book our rooms for the following weeks. I was actually surprised that we couldn't find anything to do in Nice. The next day pretty much all of the museums in Nice were closed so we decided to take a day trip to Monaco (about 15 min away by the train). It was so worth it...but I will talk about that tomorrow.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.111s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 10; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0522s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb