Nice..how nice..Alice plays in the snow!


Advertisement
France's flag
Europe » France » Provence-Alpes-Côte d'Azur » Nice
December 4th 2008
Published: December 4th 2008
Edit Blog Post

A long train trip to Nice yeilded great results! An awesome hostel in a former monastery where we got upgraded to a private room with ensuite and had views over the ocean! This made up for Alice tripping over the curb while running for the tram with her pack on and not being able to get back up because of the weight of her pack and all the Frenchies laughing at her...

Next day after gorging ourselves at all you can eat free breakfast and being given the low down on Nice by one of the hostel staff, we walked around the old town of Nice and along the waterfront. Then we went to the modern art museum (free!) which was really good! We got on a bus and headed to the little hilltop village called Eze and had a picnic lunch of a baguette and blue cheese at the top of the village where they have created an enourmous cactus garden..how random! But we had amazing views of the Cote Dázure while we ate our lunch! Unfortunatly we arrived at Eze at the same time as 2 coach loads of Americans from the massive cruise ship parked in the bay of Nice, luckily most of them went straight into the crappy souvenier shops and were to fat to walked up the hill to the cactus garden!

After lunch we searched for the path down the cliff to the fishing village at the bottom where we planned to catch our bus back to Nice.. we couldn´t find it! Eventually found the tourist information office and they gave us a map! It was a really nice walk..probably our favourite so far and we were the only ones on it!

Next day we took a tiny little train to a village called Entrevaux, about 1.5 hrs behind Nice in the mountains. As our trip progressed further toward the mountains we began to realise that we were drastically under-dressed..there was a lot of snow on the ground and we were wearing sneakers and ankle socks! When we got to the village it was freezing as expected and it was also a ghost town! Competely deserted except for a man with a front loader doing some road work! But we found a spot in the sun to eat our baguette and blue cheese. After lunch we walked along the river and Alice played with the snow and was very happy! The village was beautiful, surrounded by mountains and very authentically medieval. Sun was setting and frostbite was setting in so we jumped on the teeny tiny train back to Nice!


Advertisement



Tot: 0.097s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 12; qc: 27; dbt: 0.0658s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb