I didn't have a camera this morning, so here's 1,000 words.


Advertisement
France's flag
Europe » France » Provence-Alpes-Côte d'Azur » Nice
June 29th 2008
Published: July 2nd 2008
Edit Blog Post

The beach is a mat of pebbles spreading for two miles in a grand broad arc, Nice's stony embrace of the Mediterranean. The sea fondled the shore with gentle sloshing caresses under a gray early morning sky.

No one was on the beach, save one man in a white t-shirt and brown shorts fishing off the end of a curved, jumbled jetty. I crept out onto the jetty and found a flat rock facing east toward blue shadow mountains whose tops followed the waves of an invisible conductor's baton. A dull red haze hung above the highest and nearest peak, surrounded by painful purple bruises.

Soon a trio of old folks strolled up to the shoreline about 50 yards away to look at the sea before disappearing to the east. A small black crab scuttled about on a nearby tan and black rock. The fisherman silently fished.

Nice's beach boulevard, the Promenade des Anglais, is a wide road line with the beach on one side and a long string of Mediterranean hotels, shops and casinos. The city sweeps along the shore before crawling up the flattest inclines on the impossibly slow-moving mountains behind.

Rouge gauze yielded to a brighter red. Long slinky electric pink lines rippled and shimmied along tiny dancing black peaks of sea as the sun's curved head crept over the sloping horizon, slowly like a shy toddler peaking around a corner. Shy immediately burned into a screaming orange that warned of the hot day to come.

More people suddenly dotted the beach; an old bald man in a white undershirt and blue pants walked to the edge of a nearby concrete pier to watch the sea. He was soon replaced by a young man in sunglasses, a black t-shirt and green capri shorts. The fisherman fished.

The sun imposed itself on the sea and extended itself in a long, bright, slithering gold staff, dancing to the sea's hushed charmer. Beachgoers watched; beachgoers swam. City workers cleaned overflowing trash barrels, the onetime battlefield between hungry seagulls and pigeons. Trucks and cars whooshed along the Promenade. A chainsaw growled in the distance. Walkers and joggers crossed on the sidewalk. The fisherman packed up emptyhanded and went home. Silence gave way to commotion; sleep gave way to life. Nice awoke.

Advertisement



4th July 2008

...
Gorgeous. Well written. More puhleeze!
21st July 2008

Descriptive
Your best one yet,Doug.Well written and very descriptive,almost felt like I was there with you.Love,Aunt Sally

Tot: 0.081s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 6; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0494s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb