Nice, France (Cote d'Azure) Day 10 - The Day of Badness


Advertisement
France's flag
Europe » France » Provence-Alpes-Côte d'Azur » Nice
June 30th 2007
Published: June 30th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Day 10 (6/30) - The Day of Badness

Photos from our adventures

Today was moving day. Since we extended our stay in Nice, we needed a room for an extra day. Our hotel, unfortunately, did not have a room for us so we needed to change hotels for our final night. We decided to get up early (meaning before noon) so that we could check out on time. Since check in wasn’t until 1 at our new hotel, we actually went in search of breakfast.

At 1 we got more than a ride to our new hotel. We got severely ripped off by our taxi driver. We had our hotel call us a taxi, climbed in to the beautiful Citroen, and took the 5 minute drive to our new hotel. The lady driver chatted us up on the way to our hotel. Actually, she was quite nice. After taking our luggage from her trunk, she asked us if wanted a receipt for our 25 euro cab ride (translated…approximately 35 US dollars). I about shit myself. Michael began to hand over the money while I began inquiring as to how she had calculated that amount. The lady threw out phrases like “origination fee” and “time from when she got the call.” Long story short, we ended up paying the fare and taking one on the chin, vowing, of course, never to take another taxi again. In hindsight, we should have handed her a $10 and told her that was all that we had in cash. After all, that’s all the ride should have cost.

That whole deal did not set our day off on a very good path.

From our new hotel, we hoofed it to the local mall to soak in some local culture. Let’s just say it was nothing to write home about (4 stories, super tiny, packed with people…and their dogs). While eating a snack outside of the mall we witnessed a parent reach the breaking point and smack their child (hard) across the face. Whatever shred of hope we had left for turning our day around after the taxi incident, was ruined after witnessing that. Sometimes—people just suck. This was one of those times.

Perhaps a nap would set us on the path to enlightenment…so we headed back to the hotel to find out.
Dinner that night was another score. We went to a local restaurant and ate indoors (instead of dining on the patio) for the first time since we had been in Nice. Dinner was delicious. And get this…the waiter came over and gave us a free shot of Peach Schnapps when we finished our meal. We toasted to the end of a fairly crappy day and headed back to our hotel for the evening.

We thought a dip in the hotel’s rooftop Jacuzzi might help to further wash away the badness of the day. We put on our swimsuits and headed for the 8th floor. When we got there, the Jacuzzi was cold and we couldn’t figure out how to heat it or turn on the bubbles. When we went inside to inquire, we were told by the man behind the counter that the Jacuzzi gets shut off at 8. (It was now 8:30.) If we wanted more information, we should “talk to the people downstairs at the front counter.” Jacuzzi knowledge was “not his job.”

After the “not my job” comment, we just threw up our hands and called it a night.

Miggy says: Hotel Suisse is worth every penny. The staff, views and accessibility to Old City are unmatched.

Photos from our adventures


Advertisement



Tot: 0.083s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 8; qc: 23; dbt: 0.0454s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 2; ; mem: 1mb