The Old Port of Marseille


Advertisement
France's flag
Europe » France » Provence-Alpes-Côte d'Azur » Marseille
December 7th 2009
Published: December 7th 2009
Edit Blog Post

Dinner at the portDinner at the portDinner at the port

A sunset dinner, made up of a beautiful grilled fish, and sitting on the side of the Marseille port. Is definately somthing not to miss!
Never thought much about Marseille but boy was I wrong. This city has so much to offer and a lot of 'caché'. Did not adventure into the world of small 'bed & breakfasts' as we heard many horror stories, and therefore opted for a more well established hotel with reliable standards to be sure not to spoil the weekend. A stroll around the old harbour is a definate must, but keep your eyes open for pick pockets and some very big rats in the evenings.
You can not visit Marseille and not try the traditional bouillabaisse (fish stew/soup) or a grilled fish. Like many other Mediterranean cities negotiation and bargaining is a MUST. As a tourist you can expect to be charged a little extra, so don't worry the locals have already taken into account a good margin for 'discount'. Visits to the daily market and fish market are true experiences, which many visitors do not even think of, but which immediately throw you into the local lifestyle.
If you come to Marseille by car you will have the freedom to discover the beautiful coast line and the magnificent little coves which it hides. Otherwise an alternative is to rent a
Eating...AGAIN!!!Eating...AGAIN!!!Eating...AGAIN!!!

What more can I say?
small boat, readily available in the old harbour, and have them take you out for the day. In fact this is even more interesting than by car, as you are able to see the coast from another point of view. And on top of this, many coves are not accessible by land, but only by sea.
With a little spirit of adventure, you can visit Marseille, sleep well, eat well and have a blast of an experience.
Plan you next city break and have fun!!!!


Additional photos below
Photos: 3, Displayed: 3


Advertisement

A room with a viewA room with a view
A room with a view

Imagine wakeing up in the morning and having this view from your bedroom window??? Well it is possible!


Tot: 0.091s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 12; qc: 46; dbt: 0.0397s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb