Lioux: A village in Provence, France


Advertisement
France's flag
Europe » France » Provence-Alpes-Côte d'Azur » Joucas
June 17th 2011
Published: June 17th 2011
Edit Blog Post

LiouxLiouxLioux

a village in Provence, France
Lioux is approached by way of the route to Gordes and the tourist route to Carpentras. It is in the northern valley area of the Luberon. The turn-off is unassuming. Though the village can be seen from Gordes, where tourist buses unload groups at peak season every hour of the day, it is caught in a time warp and preserved as it was at the turn of the 20th century. I like Lioux for more than this reason.
After the turn-off the ride to the village passes the Lioux chateaux and the newer village that has several chambre d'hotes. After another quick right an assent to the old village begins. Quickly wonderful views can be seen of the valley in which are the villages of Joucas, Gordes, Saint Pantaleon, and Rousillion. Looking back from here to Gordes in the west the valley in its entirety composes a special view.
Before the village are cherry trees and apricot groves. One cherry orchard is next to the village cemetery so when the blossoms are on the trees the old stonewall of the cemetery provide a suitable backdrop. These two orchards are situated in front of the great stone outcrop of Lioux, a natural structure that can easily be seen from the village of Gordes. With rain streaks and shallow caves the "falaise" is an imposing presents.
Upon entering the village, on the right, is a relic of the past. A village sign "Lioux" that has all but disappeared from the scene in other villages. It welcomes the traveler, announcing the village and its Michelin map coordinates.
In the village is a clock at the town's office (working, the building circa 1857) and a charming village fountain. Off to the right can be seen the outcrop and the valley beyond.
I like to sit awhile with a favorite song on the CD player. Somehow time seems less meaningful and at the same time more important here.




Additional photos below
Photos: 4, Displayed: 4


Advertisement



Tot: 0.045s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 10; qc: 30; dbt: 0.0217s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb