Walks in Provence, France


Advertisement
France's flag
Europe » France » Provence-Alpes-Côte d'Azur » Gordes
June 11th 2011
Published: June 12th 2011
Edit Blog Post

Mas@D900Mas@D900Mas@D900

Typical of the region, a country house in Provence
A favorite walk in this area begins outside my door. A few hundred yards and I am passed the "Quartier" and walking toward Perotet. Along the road the cherry trees have ripe fruit and are a quick snack, however, the real treats are ahead because, though I like the "coeur de pigeon" cherry my favorite is the plump dark red cherry in the grove next to the D900.
Happily, for these I must walk another 3km toward the D900. That is the best walking because it offers the best views. For example, off in the distance and on my left is Bonnieux, a village of historic significance since during the time of the Pope's stay (late 1200's) in Avignon (45km to the west) houses were built there. The village has two churches, the church at the villages high point is the Vieille Eglise and dates to the 1200's. The Luberon Mountain above the village rise only about 420m but provide a green frame to the scene. On the right is LaCoste and the De Sade chateau.
The two villages face each other over a valley that extends from the hills running north passed the D900. Having driven each of the roads
Building in StoneBuilding in StoneBuilding in Stone

Old abandoned building at the top of the road to the valley.
and knowing them well, the views of the valley from the villages are superb. Equally beautiful is the view from the north side of the D900 which is were the walk will take me.
At the top of the road which winds its way down into the valley the landscape includes an abandoned building built in stone with some of its stucco still intact, vast vineyards, and estates. I continue passed the most typical "mas" (house constructed like a large two story box) in the area and its cherry groves. On my left is marsh grass lining a stream and cherry groves are on my right. Further on there is a mulberry tree with ripe fruit. I stop here to sample while looking out on the pleasant scenery.
A little more up the road are the dark black cherries I love. Not much effort to find room for these and enjoy the benefits of the region.


Additional photos below
Photos: 4, Displayed: 4


Advertisement

Bench in PerotetBench in Perotet
Bench in Perotet

A scene in the village of Perotet
Cabonon and Cherry TreesCabonon and Cherry Trees
Cabonon and Cherry Trees

Perotet village and field


Tot: 0.069s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 9; qc: 50; dbt: 0.0388s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb