Touring the French Riviera--Nice


Advertisement
Published: June 13th 2008
Edit Blog Post

This content requires Flash
To view this content, JavaScript must be enabled, and you need the latest version of the Adobe Flash Player.
Download the free Flash Player now!
 Video Playlist:

1: Pouring the Wine 83 secs
Our TenderOur TenderOur Tender

The ship could not dock so we had to tender to shore.
Linda G planned ahead and booked us a tour of Cannes, Nice, Monaco and Monte Carlo with Dream Tours and it was a really great choice. After tendering to the dock in Cannes, 9 of us piled into the Mercedes Limo for our tour of Villefranche.
The tour was booked for 8 of us, but Pam hitched a ride into Nice so that she could find a special restaurant that she had visited the last time she was there. She had been dreaming about it and was lucky enough to find it again and was not disappointed.
Fred, our driver and tour guide, drove us past the palace of the Cannes Film Festival. It had just been held and they were busy taking down the barriers. We then drove directly to Nice and made a stop at the central market. What a beautiful place early in the morning! Vendors were setting up their stands, painting beautiful pictures, displaying their goods and cooking wonderful dishes for sampling. Burt Wolf, who has produced many, many travel segments for various tv networks, was in the market filming one of his segments. We talked to him and Linda C. had her picture taken with him.
Grand PrincessGrand PrincessGrand Princess

A view of the ship from the port of Cannes.
Check out his website, burtwolf.com.
We walked around Nice for a while before heading to the Eze village which is a beautiful village on the hillside with steep walkways between quaint homes and shops. We stopped to look at the magnificent coastline of the French Riviera.
After touring Eze we drove to La Turble for lunch. Some of us ate at a small cafe while the others ate at a larger restaurante. At both, the food was excellent and so was the entire village. A wonderful place to walk around. I took numerous photos--really too many to put in here.
After lunch we drove the route of the Grand Prix de Monaco and went around the corner where Princess Grace lost her life. Many, many twists and turns. (Fred spared us and did not drive like a Formula One driver.) We drove past the Casino of Monte Carlo but did not stop to go in since we were becoming short on time. We then headed to the medieval village of St Paul de Vence where we did a quick tour of the shops on the hillside and watched a game of Bocce Ball.
We headed back to the docks in
Nice marketNice marketNice market

A vendor in the market in Nice opening her stand.
Cannes for the last tender to the Grand Princess. We rested a bit before having pre-dinner cocktails on Tom and Linda's stateroom balcony. A truly wonderful day.




















Additional photos below
Photos: 31, Displayed: 23


Advertisement

AsparagusAsparagus
Asparagus

Wonderful displays of vegetables.
TomatoesTomatoes
Tomatoes

Beautifully displayed.
Colorful paintingColorful painting
Colorful painting

Lovely bright painting.
Omelet type dishOmelet type dish
Omelet type dish

Made of Garbonzo beans. We each had a serving. Very interesting. I'm going to call it Souka but I'm not sure that is the correct name &/or spelling.
Taking a Souka BreakTaking a Souka Break
Taking a Souka Break

Bob, Deanie and I eating the Garbonzo Bean dish.
Linda C and Burt WolfLinda C and Burt Wolf
Linda C and Burt Wolf

Burt was filming a segment for his newest video travel project.
Wine StoreWine Store
Wine Store

Bulk wine sales. We bought some for 2.4 EU and it was GREAT!!
Filler up!Filler up!
Filler up!

Bring your own jug and fill it up. I have a video of some milk jugs being filled with Rose, but it is too large to upload here. I'll try to cut it down.
Nice livingNice living
Nice living

A typical narrow street in Nice.
The French RivieraThe French Riviera
The French Riviera

A wonderful view of the coastline.
Eze villageEze village
Eze village

Steep stairs and walkways of Eze.
Eze walkwaysEze walkways
Eze walkways

Beautiful mozaics embedded in the sidewalks.
Eze shopsEze shops
Eze shops

Quaint shops of the village.
DeanieDeanie
Deanie

Deanie on an Eze flowered stairway.
Eight of us on the French RivieraEight of us on the French Riviera
Eight of us on the French Riviera

The eight of us on the hill overlooking Monaco and Monte Carlo after lunch in La Turble. Bob, Deanie, Linda G. Steve, Linda C., Susie, Vicki and John
La Turble cafeLa Turble cafe
La Turble cafe

Bob and Deanie ready to order.
Deanie's Tuna HoagieDeanie's Tuna Hoagie
Deanie's Tuna Hoagie

A hugely wonderful sandwich.
Wonderful SaladWonderful Salad
Wonderful Salad

I had a great salad with wonderful toast points with melted Brie & spices. Scrumptious.


17th June 2008

Was the wine good?
Gorgeous! This is my favorite of your blogs. Now I see why the Riviera is such a popular destination.

Tot: 0.242s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 11; qc: 50; dbt: 0.0652s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb