Romance en Provence


Advertisement
France's flag
Europe » France » Provence-Alpes-Côte d'Azur » Avignon
March 28th 2015
Published: April 6th 2015
Edit Blog Post

Lavander fields en ProvenceLavander fields en ProvenceLavander fields en Provence

best to be seen in the summer ( June- July)
Being considered as hopeless romantic by many friends of mine, it’s was about time to make myself on the way to the heart of the beast Romance, namely – Provence.

Once you arrive in Avignon, one of the oldest and most beautiful cities in Provence, and leave the Central station behind, right in front of you start/ end the well- preserved walls build in around 13-14th centure and currently surrounding the whole town. Once you enter the town, you may have the feeling that the time in here stopped sometime in the past - cobbled streets , leading to many many labyrinths ( easy to lose, but no better way of discover the secret beauty of the town) ,the many colorful boutiques, Alfresco’s painted and flowery decorated balconies of houses , the carrousel in the old squire, close to the Opera house, cinema and the most famous sight of Avignon – the Palais des Papes, the many chocolateries and the boulangeries and especially the friendly and always smiley citizens of Avignon gives you all the feeling and desire of return again, and again, and again.

One of the best ways of seeing the most interesting parts of Avignon is by taking the touristic train, leaving from the Palais des Papes. The ride takes about 40 minutes ( in outside the high the season) and goes through some of the most interesting streets of the town – will show you some of the best places to get Your souvenir from Provence, the Parfumeries selling Parfumes from Grasse, as well as one of the others sights of Avignon, Point St. Benezet - subject of the famous song “Sur le Pontt d’Avignon”; one of my favorites squires “Place de L’Horloge – build in 15th century is one of the places to stop, should you wish to have a coffee or break for lunch/ dinner, Marche les Halles d'Avignon is my other favourite – the covered market offering local produce –fruits, vegetables, herbs, oils, flowers, cookeries, cosmetic etc. Even, you thinkg you didn't have time to buy something, you will end up buying. I also coudn't resist. The market is opened every day from Tuesday to Sunday until around 13:00h. Apropos, while in Avignon ( or in France in generally), have in mind, that most of the shops, markets etc. might be close on Monday.

Just outside of the market was another lovely squire surrounded by many pubs, cafes and bars – interesting meeting point for the visitors of the town.

If you happened to like French cosmetic, parfumes, wines etc don’t leave Provence before purchsing your favourite items in some of the cute boutiques, while once again enjoying the hospitality and the gentil way of seilling of the locals.

My next visit is set for soon, planning to spend a summer in Provence and admire the lavander fields in mid June/ July and so much cannot wait for it....



Bonne vacances,


Additional photos below
Photos: 19, Displayed: 19


Advertisement



Tot: 0.09s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 10; qc: 50; dbt: 0.0424s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb