Avignon day #3


Advertisement
Published: July 7th 2012
Edit Blog Post

It is an absolutely beautiful day in Avignon. We enjoyed the typical european breakfast and rested some more. About 11am we took a taxi to the cIty centre of the old walled city searching for a telecom/phone store to try and buy a sim card for our iPad. We went to 4 stores and no one had one. We gave up the search and walked to the popes palace and gardens. Fantastic. The roman catholic pope resided here from 1309 to 1377 when he returned to Rome. We walked and walked and walked some more through the narrow-streets of Avignon. In the gardens of the pope we found a nice bistro near a fountain and we stopped to have lunch, formage and jambon pizza and salad with shredded carrot and corn and a glass of rose wine. Then we went to see the famous pont of Avignon or broken bridge. We wandered the streets and stopped to have an iced tea as it was an extremely hot day.

The festival of Avignon will be starting this weekend and there were tons of entertainers passing out brochures to their shows. What a trip! We thought maui's maradi GRAS of the pacific at Halloween brought out the weirdos .... This was equally as crazy. We went by one more telecom store and realized we should have activated the sim card before we departed the US. We tried to use Jim's blackberry but it was too slow so he called Mike and asked if he would get us a contact # for AT&T. He did better, he had a rep call us directly. Jim was finally able to get the info. emailed to us on how to activate. Done, we are live and not requiring wifi.

We decided to hang out in town and have dinner rather than return to the hotel. It was recommended that we go to Le plaza crillon and dine at restaurant Le crillon. We did and it was so worth the journey and walk to get there. We started with a delicious fois gras with pear. Then we savored sautéed scallops in a foam vanilla bourbon sauce. and did I mention a bottle of white wine?

After dinner we caught a cab and headed back to out hotel to rest and get ready for our all day wine tour tomorrow.


Additional photos below
Photos: 20, Displayed: 20


Advertisement

Pont de Avignon, the broken bridgePont de Avignon, the broken bridge
Pont de Avignon, the broken bridge

Built in the 12th century originally had 22 arches and spanned 3000 feet. Today, only 4 arches stand.
Gardens of the PopeGardens of the Pope
Gardens of the Pope

Grapes growing with "celebrity" scarecrows
Avignon FestivalAvignon Festival
Avignon Festival

Entertainers


Tot: 0.04s; Tpl: 0.02s; cc: 8; qc: 23; dbt: 0.0129s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb