Aix Files


Advertisement
France's flag
Europe » France » Provence-Alpes-Côte d'Azur » Aups
July 9th 2013
Published: August 29th 2017
Edit Blog Post

Geo: 43.6265, 6.22372

Prior to leaving Sete, we had a walk around the canals and took some photos of the town. After picking up Chloe and Ciara from their host family, we left Sete and headed for Aups, stopping off on the way to see the city of Aix-en-Provence (pronounced Ex).

Aix (Aquae Sextiae) was founded in 123 BC by the Roman Consul Sextius Calvinus, who gave his name to its springs. Aix is known as the City of a Thousand Fountains, and there are literally fountains everywhere you walk.

After leaving Aix, we headed for Aups. The village was named Oppidum de Alpibus then Castrum de Alpibus, Castrum de Almis, then Alps and finally Aups. The place was colonized by the Oxybians during Ancient Rome, being near the Via Aurelia going from Frejus (Forum Julii) to Riez (Forum Reii). Julius Caesar visited Aups (Castrum de Alpibus) on the way of the conquest of Gaul and stated "I prefer to be the first in Aups than to be the second in Roma".

The town was looted by the Huguenots in 1574. Aups was a high place of French Resistance during World War II.

Located in Provence at 500m alt, Aups is in the first foothills of the Alps. The town is at the gates of the Verdon River, and is 60 km from the sea and 80 km from the snow stations.

After arriving at Aups, we enjoyed a good dinner at our Hotel.


Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement

Plane Tree at Aups Hotel Plane Tree at Aups Hotel
Plane Tree at Aups Hotel

dating back to the 1400's.


Tot: 0.078s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 13; qc: 29; dbt: 0.0416s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb