Sete n on the Dock of the Bay


Advertisement
France's flag
Europe » France » Languedoc-Roussillon » Sete
July 8th 2013
Published: August 29th 2017
Edit Blog Post

Kim Standing Beside a Cadillac Kim Standing Beside a Cadillac Kim Standing Beside a Cadillac

that drips water inside when you put a coin in the slot.
Geo: 43.4028, 3.69278

This morning we left Barcelona and headed back to France to Sete, which is one of France's biggest fishing ports.

On the way we called in to the town of Figueres in Spain to visit Teatro Museo, a museum created by Salvadore Dali for his own works. Teatro Museo is Spain's second most visited tourist attraction, and we had to line up for around half an hour to gain entry to the museum.

Dali was born in 1904 in Figueres in the Catalonia region of Spain and died in 1989. He used both classical and modernist techniques, sometimes in separate works, and sometimes combined. Exhibitions of his works in Barcelona attracted much attention along with mixtures of praise and puzzled debate from critics. Some of his surrealist works make you wonder what he was "tripping on" at the time.

Dalí grew a flamboyant moustache, influenced by 17th-century Spanish master painter Diego Velazquez. The moustache became an iconic trademark of his appearance for the rest of his life.

After leaving the museum, we continued driving to Sete, arriving around dinner time. Liz, Darrol, Chloe and Ciara went to visit the family of their former
Painting By DaliPainting By DaliPainting By Dali

Abe Lincoln or a Nude Woman?
French exchange student, and Kim and I went for a walk along the beachfront and to find a place to eat dinner. Some of the fishing trawlers moored in the harbour were massive.

Being a fishing port, I tried the calamari and it was the best I have ever tasted. Kim had steak for dinner.

Sete hosts water jousting tournaments, a bizarre twist on jousting on horses. Contestants stand on the bows of boats with jousts and shields, and their boats “charge” at each other.

Our hotel is located on a canal leading to the ocean. Only a one night stay in Sete, as we are heading for Aups tomorrow.


Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement



Tot: 0.305s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 12; qc: 51; dbt: 0.1001s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb