Day Trip to Arles: Fair and Bullfighting


Advertisement
France's flag
Europe » France » Provence-Alpes-Côte d'Azur » Arles
March 23rd 2008
Published: March 23rd 2008
Edit Blog Post

Bull RunBull RunBull Run

People and locals running around and touching the charging bull.
When I was in Montpellier, My friend and I spotted a sign for a fair in Arles. We decided to go the fair, but all hotels and hostels were booked because of the 500,000 people that were expected to attend. So we had to go for a day trip. We took the train to Arles early in the morning and arried there about 10am. We entered the fair grounds and immediately saw a huge bull running through the streets with people running around near it. It was ridiculous. The bull was contained in the street by metal fence. People were running up and touching the bull as it tryed to attack them. Locals ducked and dodged the horns of the bull, while on-lookers cheered and laughed. And of course I and some other guys had to test our skills so we went out and touched the bull as it charged by. It was crazy. After this we went and bought tickets to the bullfight. It was in a huge ancient area. We saw the fights and deaths of four bulls as they challenged the bullfighters. People applauded for good showmanship. The end for the bulls was not pretty though. The bullfighters had swords. It was so amazing to see this kind of culture. It was similar to the bullfights in Spain. After the bullfight, our group of 20 international students wandered around the fairgrounds riding rides and playing bumper cars. It was really fun. Me and another girl decided to do this crazy ride that flipped you around upside-down way up in the air. There is a picture of it in here. Overall it was an amazing day trip to the city where Van Gogh grew up.


Additional photos below
Photos: 23, Displayed: 23


Advertisement

The BullfightThe Bullfight
The Bullfight

The horses had armor on them.
The BullfightThe Bullfight
The Bullfight

Clearing the arena
The BullfightThe Bullfight
The Bullfight

The bull atacking the horse
The BullfightThe Bullfight
The Bullfight

The bull knocked over the horse!
The BullfightThe Bullfight
The Bullfight

Our group
The Bullfight The Bullfight
The Bullfight

I like this picture.


Tot: 0.093s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 11; qc: 52; dbt: 0.0604s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb