Day 5 St -Loup-Sur-Thouet to Lusignan 42miles


Advertisement
France's flag
Europe » France » Poitou-Charentes
May 14th 2014
Published: May 14th 2014
Edit Blog Post

Last night was spent in the keep of Chateau du Saint -Loup. The Chateau is being restored but used for functions.The Comte spoke perfect Engish & made us welcome in his own home with a big roaring fire & BBC television on in the lounge.We were the only guests & were served at breakfast by the Comte himself after which he gave us a guided tour of the amazing Chateau & grounds.

Back on our bikes for a pleasant ride .In contrast to the arable open land of the early part of this stage,high hedgerows now divide up lush green pastureland.

The hedgerows are beautiful full of speedwell,bluebells,herb robert & buttercups. Along the way we were joined by noisy frogs(the four legged variety) .Have seen lots of wild life on the route.I had my first sighting of a red squirrel but unfortunately it was dead the victim of road traffic accident. Today we saw a Coypu (I thought a beaver but Mark said they don't look like that). Cuckoos are prevelant Every farm or house seemed to have an aggressive dog which charged at the gates whenever we passed,poor postmen !

Later the fields became significantly bigger with newly planted sweetcorn & the purple hue of what I think were linseed flowers.

Lovely cycling weather today & no thunderstorms yippee.Warming up nicely now.


Additional photos below
Photos: 8, Displayed: 8


Advertisement



14th May 2014

Great Blog
Keep it coming. Pink fluorescent pen doing the biz on the map! Guessing which routes you have taken. Names please when you can? Xxxxx P.S. Where is your intended finish point?
14th May 2014

Very Impressed
Well done Sue ! Thought Mark would have a string of onions over the handlebars by now ...........
15th May 2014

The Comte de Stoborough
Accommodation looked wonderful as befits your status. Do you book ahead or turn up at any old chateaux and demand a bed for the night? Following your route on the map and it all looks downhill. From the photos the riders are going downhill as well! Bon voyage sur Les bicycle totes.

Tot: 0.157s; Tpl: 0.018s; cc: 8; qc: 46; dbt: 0.0361s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb