Poitiers: More of the good life


Advertisement
France's flag
Europe » France » Poitou-Charentes » Poitiers
August 21st 2011
Published: August 24th 2011
Edit Blog Post

Sunday: the morning after the night before and what a sleep-in we had. However, we had places to see and after a good French breakfast we headed back into the city to see in daylight some of the places we had walked around the previous evening. The temperature was climbing and another hot day was in store, so it was pleasant to go into some of the churches where the air was cool. Our knowledgeable hostess was happy to give us interesting historical information about the buildings and the city. Unfortunately, because it was Sunday some buildings were shut, notably the former palace of Counts of Poitou and Dukes of Aquitaine, now The Courthouse.
After the morning’s exertions and an enjoyable long lunch we all needed a rest, so the remainder of the afternoon was spent enjoying the cool of the house. Perhaps some eyes were shut for brief periods, or perhaps that is just a rumour.
It was important to have this rest because we had decided on dinner out. Those with the inside knowledge booked a table at an elegant restaurant in a castle, which is now a hotel. The castle is situated in a small village a short drive from Poitiers. We arrived at the appointed hour and were ushered to a table on the terrace, overlooking magnificent gardens. We enjoyed a meal of many courses presented with style and wonderful service. Each course looked almost like a work of art and we appreciated both the appearance and the flavours of the dishes. This was probably the closest we will ever come to being treated like royalty and it was quite nice!
This time we have spent in Poitiers will remain one of the highlights of our trip. We have revelled in the history, the architecture and the generous hospitality that gave us a taste (so to speak) of authentic French life. We will need to return.


Advertisement



Tot: 0.508s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 10; qc: 50; dbt: 0.3068s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb