Inland Vendee – to the region of ‘La Venise Verte’


Advertisement
France's flag
Europe » France » Poitou-Charentes » Niort
September 3rd 2011
Published: September 4th 2011
Edit Blog Post

Campsite = Campsite de la Venise Verte – near Coulon

What a grotty night's sleep. Just behind us on the campsite was a large and very scruffy caravan. The occupants of pitch number 77 know who they are (though I doubt they could manage to read this) and are lucky they were not lynched by the rest of the campsite for the incredible racket they made, loud mouthed yobby adults and screeching kids, until 2.30am. At one point, in desperation, I confronted them (in my nightie) and asked them to please shut up so everyone else on the campsite could sleep but they just laughed rudely (and my French was perfect !). I reported them to reception before we left and they were obviously known there.
The sunshine of yesterday had become hidden behind a curtain of thick sea-mist which probably cleared on the coast behind us but we headed inland to the Vendee. Bob had found us a campsite in the Venise Verte area of the Vendee and that was where we were headed. Not a particularly inspiring drive. Very flat, the sky was grey and the towns and villages we passed through were not in really remarkable. All very agricultural. I began to see why the Vendee tourist area is the coast and not inland.
I had found a les-plus-beaux-villages-de-france at Vouvant so we slightly detoured on the way to the campsite for a visit. Have to say we were disappointed and do not believe it should be included in the list. We have seen far prettier villages which are not listed. A few pretty old building and an ancient, interesting church but beyond that, not a lot. Supposed to be very floral but it wasn't, just a number of artist's studios and half of those closed.
We carried on our way and didn’t lunch until we reached the campsite as no obvious place to park up en route.
Campsite excellent with pool and superior facilities. Will explore the area tomorrow on scooter, weather permitting. Today, as I had had at last campsite, major problems again connecting laptop to the free on-site wifi, and realised it was the laptop not this campsite's wifi. Had to do a lot of random clicking to get it working (including backing out laptop to restore point of a week ago and removing antivirus). Now all up and running again.



Additional photos below
Photos: 7, Displayed: 7


Advertisement



Tot: 0.519s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 31; qc: 145; dbt: 0.4085s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.4mb