Mont St Michel and St Marlo


Advertisement
France's flag
Europe » France » Poitou-Charentes » La Rochelle
June 27th 2006
Published: July 8th 2006
Edit Blog Post

Mont St Michel
Our first visit was Mont St Michel. Traveling by road its hard to miss, a huge abbey covers the summit and is lined with various buildings of different architectural designs. This place is very commercial but and amazing site to admire.

Apparently Mont St Michel is one area that is renowned for the surrounding tides, the difference from low and high tide is approx 15m.


St Marlo

We have now moved into the province of Brittany. St Marlo has an amazing stone walled city that was originally an island. Like so many places of historical value 80% of St Marlo was trashed during 1944 battle to drive out the German forces. The main historical monuments have been restored to their former glory. The streets are so narrow with cobble stone pavement - It really has an atmosphere about the place.

La Rochelle

La Rochelle is a little port town on the Atlantic coast with more yacht that you could poke a stick at. We arrived late in the afternoon so we managed to find a camp site very close to the city, then go out for a bit to eat. The French vs Spain game was on while we were eating - the atmosphere about the place was just nuts!

One thing I have realised about the French is that they are a very proud and patriotic nation. I think I can debunk the myth about French being rude, so far they have been nothing but polite, hospitable and friendly. They do really appreciate the fact that you try to speak French and once you get into the habit it does get a lot easier to communicate with them and even have a joke with them.



Additional photos below
Photos: 8, Displayed: 8


Advertisement



Tot: 0.247s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 8; qc: 56; dbt: 0.0501s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb