Stone the crows there's hundreds!


Advertisement
France's flag
Europe » France » Pays-de-la-Loire » Guerande
May 7th 2013
Published: May 7th 2013
Edit Blog Post

Woken by the lark, the sparrow, the cuckoo and every other bird on the site, we had time for a couple of brews before packing up and heading off. We have got into our routines now for striking camp and can usually manage to do everything with Oliver loaded and showers done within an hour. The comparison to Georgie is great with this as not only were we sound asleep until the birds had had their brunch we would linger over the brews and usually manage to get going by mid-morning. With only a kilometre to go to our destination it proved incredibly easy to find, follow everyone else.



Woolly says – there did seem to be a lot of traffic on the road, parking wasn’t a problem although several motorhomes seemed to have spent the night there. Pulling up we could see stones, acres and acres of stones, they weren’t quite what I expected having seen pictures of Stonehenge in my I Spy book but this was Carnac and these stones were much much older! The Carnac Stones were taken from local rock and erected by the pre-Celtic people of Brittany. They are dated back to about 3300 BC, but some may date to as early as 4500 BC.



Alighting from Oliver we walked round the fenced off areas, the stones were curious some in circles and some in rows, the rows continued as far as you could see, we considered their original purpose as many before us had done, where they an ancient form of computer, a worship ground, a weather station, nothing has ever been proved or disproved but still they stand. We saw a tower in the distance and wandered towards it to see if we could get more of a clue from higher up.



Woolly says – we had no further ideas from our position above them, they just seemed to go on forever. I tried counting them but kept running out of paws. Following the road back towards Oliver we stopped and admired the grazing sheep, a breed brought to the area when they were re-discovered in 1987 and used primarily as mowers around the stones. They seemed very contented and given that they had started off with only 65 and that there were now over 1200 they must enjoy the work! Having had our fill of Carnac’s stone colony we programmed James and set Oliver on the route to Guarande, coming within miles of the coast now we have gone as west as we plan to and will start the routes south. We pulled up at Camping at Chateau de Careil and spoke to the lovely receptionist who booked us on for 18 Euro’s for two nights, bargain. The usual price would have been 34 Euro’s including hook up, we were told to take our pick of pitches and found ourselves to be one of only two other parties sharing the sight. Jo and Ian are having a day off tomorrow and plan to go for a meal to celebrate Ian’s birthday. I’m just hoping they take me along, I could murder a Chinese!!!!!



Camping at Chateau de Careil is incredibly quiet with good basic facilities, we spent a happy afternoon sitting in shorts and relaxing with an odd glass of wine or cider, with sausages and omelettes for tea we are happy campers.


Additional photos below
Photos: 9, Displayed: 9


Advertisement



7th May 2013

Breathless!
I go away for a couple of weeks and you take off on your travels with no warning! How do you manage to post blogs every day? It takes me hours to compose what I want to share. Glad you are having fun despite the weather.
8th May 2013

It's never easy!
We have sort of continued from where we left of with Georgie on the travel front. I average an hour and a half to do the blogs and then poor Ian has to check my spelling and grammer (being dyslexic can be a problem lol), posting poses more of a problem, I write each night and hope to post then but have had to rely on McDonalds to post quite a few, good job there coffee is good and cheap!

Tot: 0.051s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 12; qc: 34; dbt: 0.0273s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb