Innsbruck to Paris


Advertisement
France's flag
Europe » France » Paris
January 16th 2011
Published: January 16th 2011
Edit Blog Post

We have been following the devastating floods closely in Queensland and now even in Victoria closely and it just seems terrrible. La Nina has really taken its toll against Brazil and in Sri Lanka too. In Europe the weather has been much kinder after the earlier cold snap that bought the widespread snow.

We had a great time in Innsbruck, with two more great days skiing returning to Stubaier Glacier and Kuhtai both having the highest elevations and best conditions. On day four, we returned to Kuhtai and visibility was better and we had a great day's skiing. Thomas, our guide bought his own avalanche gear and spent some time with the boys demonstrating techniques of search and rescue off piste.

We caught the train from Innsbruck to Zurich, then changed trains and continued to Paris. It seems so warm in Paris compared to our previous travels, I think about 12 degrees celcius. Our hotel is really well located right next to the Palais Royal and the Lourve.

Yesterday we spent the day exploring the Lourve, which is just so enormous. We tried to see all the headline pieces in the collection, absolutely the best was the famous Mona Lisa for me, I have been here twice before but never before have I even been able to get close,but without the crowds of peak season we were able to really see the magic of that piece. After the Lourve we walked over to the Eiffel Tower and ascended the stairs to the second level. That was as far as we could get as the higher levels were closed, but that was ok, the sky was clear and we got a great view of the city in every direction.

Today we headed out on the Metro to Mont Marte and visited the churches of Sacre Coeur and St Pierre where St Ignatius took his vowels in 1534. We wandered through the artists at Mont Marte, then back down the hill catching the train to the Musee D'Orsay. Lot's more fabulous and famous art works later we headed along the Seine to Notre Dame. Lots of tourist activity there, we were able to get inside and have a look about before finishing the day with a walk back along the Seine to the hotel.




Additional photos below
Photos: 38, Displayed: 23


Advertisement

In transit - Zurich, SwitzerlandIn transit - Zurich, Switzerland
In transit - Zurich, Switzerland

A one hour stop over with no swiss francs!
Les Noces de CanaLes Noces de Cana
Les Noces de Cana

the Lourve, Paris
P1030520P1030520
P1030520

The Lourve, Paris
P1030521P1030521
P1030521

The Lourve, Paris
P1030524P1030524
P1030524

The Lourve, Paris
Inverted PyramidInverted Pyramid
Inverted Pyramid

The Lourve, Paris No Mary Magdalene but yay Apple store!


Tot: 0.081s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 10; qc: 50; dbt: 0.0455s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb