Versailles cest magnifique!


Advertisement
France's flag
Europe » France » Paris
May 7th 2010
Published: May 7th 2010
Edit Blog Post

Today we displayed the fact that we are now "seasoned travellers" by catching the rural train out to the Palace of Versailles. Dad acted like a local (insert sarcastic tone here) when a local came down the aisle playing the accordion. He basically screamed and chair danced like a white boy while throwing money at the musicians!

Versailles is magnificent. All the photos do not do it justice and cannot capture how immense the chateaux really is. Once again the photos are grainy as you're not allowed to use flash photography in the castle. After viewing the apartments, hall of mirrors and the bedroom suites of the king and queen, we grabbed some lunch and headed out to the gardens to chow down. In keeping with the palace, the gardens are amazing. They extend as far as the eye can see. So much so that we hired a golf cart and zipped around the gardens at about 3 kilometres per hour! Dad and I fought over who would drive. I said that it had to be me given that I had left my driver's license at the stand, however Dad was so keen to drive he ran back to the attendant to double check whether he could drive. In the end we went half/ half.

We drove out to the Grand and Petit Trianon which are smaller chateaux at the back of We'the property. The petit chateau was originally built for Madame Pompadour, one of the King's sluts, however was later inhabited by Marie Antoinette who just needed to get away from all the glitz and glamour of the palace! We drove across to the grand trianon however did not go in as we had already spent megabucks that day, particularly with our sports golf cart! Dad also became addicted to the freshly squeezed orange juice and roasted nuts so there was another 200 Euro blown!

We successfully navigated the train system home after being accosted by beggars with their own business cards! We figure if you can afford to access a computer and print off approx 50 cards you really don't need our one Euro. We've just come back from a brasserie where we all feasted on steak. The waiter was fantastic and as stated earlier, everyone is so friendly here! Dad once again got to whip out some more French but has since come home and lamented that he forgot to say "mes compliments au chef" and other classic lines.

We're all now sitting down imbibing wine...again! We've noticed that even though we're all walking at least 10 hours a day we're all putting on weight. Even Dad. We're calling him Paunchy as he's getting a little paunche belly and can't fit into his jeans!

PS: Ignore the titles on the photos. For some reason the website mixes them all up and they're all inaccurate. The majority of photos are from Versailles and the smaller chateau are the Trianon (the smallest in Marie Antoinette's house)


Additional photos below
Photos: 46, Displayed: 24


Advertisement



8th May 2010

HAPPY MOTHERS DAY MUMMA
Hey Mummy, HAPPY MUMS DAY TODAY!! Lots of love livi xxooxxoo
11th May 2010

HAHAHA GOLF BUGGY!!!
Photos look great!!! It looks sooo cold though! Apparently MRob tried to call you while he was in Paris, coz u guys had an overlap- but he couldn't get through. Do you have roaming? Am loving your blogs...keep em coming! I'm living vicariously though you! :) Much love. xoxox

Tot: 0.317s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 6; qc: 44; dbt: 0.1303s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb