Knackered


Advertisement
France's flag
Europe » France » Paris
May 6th 2010
Published: May 6th 2010
Edit Blog Post

Well today was always going to be a struggle as I planned three destinations in one day without really taking into account the queues (given that we can usually avoid them with our passes).

Our adventures took us to Ile de la Cite today, a small island in the middle of the Seine which was at the time "Paris". That is, Paris did not extend beyond this island until many years later. We headed off to Notre Dame Cathedral (Quasimodo territory) and lined up to climb the towers. Given Mum's bodgy knees we were quite worried about her ability to ascend 400 steps (she struggled to go up 100 steps at the catacombs). However Mum killed it and within no time we were gazing out upon Gay Paris and admiring the Gargoyles (or as Mum calls them, the "Googles"). We all made it to the very top and got some amazing photographs of Paris.

We came down the tight staircase which was quite scary. It was made more scary by the fact that Dad was walking backwards while filming us. He proclaimed that "he would die for his art". Sacre Bleu!

We then went into the church itself. Jeebers loving Mum was angry that a church would let so many people in to have a look. So not Christian of her. She did do the sign of the cross though. Crazy religious zealot. Massive organ there. (That one was for u Bec).

We then popped across the road to a brilliant creperie where we received cappucino's laden with creme. Tres Magnifique. Mum and I had savoury creperies which were fantastic whereas Dad basically had dessert for lunch!

After Dad and the Restaurant manager gave each other shit we then made our way to the Crypte Notre Dame where Dad got "Gypsied" and then cursed when he pretended not to speak English. We're expecting him to break out into warts or turn into a toad any minute.

The Crypte was very interesting, showing Gallo Roman remains which were originally under the city, some relics dating back to 25BC. It's mind blowing to comprehend the history of the area, particularly when the only reference point I've got to compare it to is Werribee Plaza!

We then went to the Conciergerie, which those who have read a Tale of Two Cities would know was a pivotal site for the revolution. Basically the Conciergerie was the original palace of France before the Kings decided to move elsewhere. It was then converted to a prison where many famous people, such as Marie Antoinette, were held before they faced the guillotine. There is one guillotine blade left there which killed a murderer, the name of which escapes me. Dad and I touched it but Mum was too scared. I suppose Dad has nothing to be afraid of given that the gypsies have already cursed him!

We were unable to go to Sainte Chapelle as it was getting quite late and new security measures make people wait one hour before entering. So instead we headed back home, tonight being the first night we were able to sit outside on the balcony and drink wine given Paris' unusual cold snap, although we still needed to wear scarves and beanies! Je suis est tres ivre so forgive me for any typos or grammatical errors!


Additional photos below
Photos: 60, Displayed: 24


Advertisement



7th May 2010

Loving it!!
Hello my darling! Just a quick note to say that it looks like you are all having a fabulous time!! :):) Pity it's cold, is it meant to warm up soon? You guys haven't stopped since you got there! But it looks so wonderful. Looking forward to hearing more of the Tehan Tales. xox

Tot: 0.245s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 6; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0359s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb