Day 1


Advertisement
France's flag
Europe » France » Nord-Pas de Calais » Dunkerque
September 24th 2008
Published: September 24th 2008
Edit Blog Post

1410 hours Wednesday, 24 September, 2008.

As I write this blog entry, we are sat in the shuttle train at Folkestone awaiting departure. Having heard on the radio on the way down that a Eurostar had broken down in the Tunnel this morning, and there were two hours delays, we arrived to be told by Tunnel staff, that this was only affecting Freight Trains. So, having had a very pleasant journey down - ignoring the weather, because of course it was raining, we only ended up with enough time to buy a couple of sandwiches and coffee, before joining the embark traffic for the Shuttle. What a surreal experience the shopping area was! Having experienced many busy departure lounges over the years, this place was almost deserted in fact I think we were the only customers in the place. We then drove for about 5 minutes and through a couple of checkpoints before we saw another vehicle which was only 5 minutes before we were loaded onto the train, which departed exactly on time. I wonder if the French are running this part of the operation. It was also a surprise to not have to show passports when we checked in and when we did have them checked it was by French customs - so can only assume that we are now in France.

Backtracking, a little we had the family goodbye's over the last few days, without too many tears, and although of course, we have been putting everything in place for the last few months, the last few days have been “busy”.

Anyway, we packed everything in the car this morning and left about 1130. Our packing should hopefully improve and everything will hopefully settle down. Not sure yet, what if anything we have forgotten, but I expect we have.

Just set up the Sat Nav to find our first night's sleep, must remember to drive on the wrong side of the road, when we drive off the train.......



Advertisement



Tot: 0.061s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 14; qc: 33; dbt: 0.0365s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 2; ; mem: 1.1mb