The real adventure still to come...


Advertisement
France's flag
Europe » France » Nord-Pas de Calais » Calais
February 18th 2011
Published: February 18th 2011
Edit Blog Post

The real adventure still to come...

The day had finally arrived when we would set off on an adventure of a lifetime, a chance to travel to places that until now I could only dream about. All the research and reading of the Lonely Planet Travel Guide cannot completely prepare you for the wonderful experience of travel. To be free of everyday life and having no restrictions on your time is one of the most pleasurable experiences one will ever know and with the freedom of travel also comes the prospect to liberate yourself of the materials that consume us.

And so the adventure begins...

The van, it is to be our new home for the next seven months. It is little inside, with a thin foam mattress, a sink and a gas plate and a small fridge. The Sea France Ferry took us from Dover UK to Calais France, we drove our van to Boulogne Sur Mer on the coast. We had searched for a campervan park but much to our disappointment, it was too late and they were all closed. Therefore we were parked by the water on the English Channel with no heating and no toilet. The night was chilli and we huddled together to keep warm, we wore layers on layers of clothes and blankets covered us and still we shivered all night. Relief came with the sun, the next morning. The outside of our van is thick with ice.

In Rouen Normandy the next day we visited the site Joan of Arc’s execution in 1431, a tower is now built in her honour. Our limited understanding of the French language is proving to be difficult and I feel extremely small-minded but we attempt communicating in broken French.

Paris here we come...



Additional photos below
Photos: 11, Displayed: 11


Advertisement

De Notre Dame CathedralDe Notre Dame Cathedral
De Notre Dame Cathedral

The tallest cathedral in France standing at 151 meters high.


Tot: 0.071s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 13; qc: 52; dbt: 0.0444s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb