Toulouse or not to lose ...


Advertisement
France's flag
Europe » France » Midi-Pyrénées » Toulouse
September 9th 2009
Published: September 10th 2009
Edit Blog Post

Being in Toulouse is not to lose but to win by a Lot!

A picture paints 1000 words and we have many of this terracotta city. Byzantine ceilings, French painters and streetscapes galore ... blended with warm days and nights ... lends itself to cafe sitting and postcard writing or people gazing ...

Toulouse is an architectural feast with lots of narrow streets and loads of character at every turn. Whether it be a fancy street lamp, the relief the flat terracotta bricks create or the vaulted ceilings featuring a particular design era the town had us gazing in awe and snapping our little Olympus devices ad nauseum. Half timbered houses, shuttered windows and doors and tiered roof tops demanded our attention.

We walked many of the streets (don't our feet know it!) and then rested at local cafes and restaurants. The warmth of the air and taking the time to sit back and drink it all in seems as important as moving about between the grand edifices.

Lunch? Salad. An amazing number of saladeries exist here. I went for the Californian one with chicken, lettuce and orange segments drizzled with an orange juice vinaigrette. Joss had the Chef's special with wheat, vegetables and mozzarella. We are studying ingredients hoping to repeat some of these dishes when we come home ... if we return ...

In the afternoon we sought solace in the Fondation Bemberg - a private collection of art from Renaissance through to Post-impressionist art. Joss was most impressed by the work of Bonnard. There were quite a number of his works in the museum, covering a range of subjects from still lifes, to landcapes and portraits. What did she like about him? His use of colour, subjects ... style. She also saw some Picasso that she liked so is thinking a visit to the Musee Picasso is a must when back in Paris.

Exhibited in a beautiful Renaissance house not far from the Garonne River, the floors with the older works were furnished and decorated for the period. The walls were papered with a velvet finish, reminiscent of our former lounge in NQ, albeit in bolder colours. One was a emerald green, another was red jacquard and anoth forest green jacquard in tone and texture. The rooms were over furnished to effect an opulence reminiscent of the respective eras.

Dinner? A tagine - lamb, artichokes, olives, other vegetables! Mmmmmmmmmmm.

In the evening we went to a concert "Planet Nougaro" to celebrate Claude Nougaro’s 80th birthday. Held in the centre of town in Place du Capitole, every Toulousian seemed to be there! There were a series of singers and they seemed to get a good response from the crowd. Sore feet sent us home before the throng. Tired but satisfied after a day in Toulouse.



Additional photos below
Photos: 17, Displayed: 17


Advertisement



10th September 2009

yay mummy
Soo proud of you mum, your wearing your new shirt (that looks beautiful on you) and my necklace. xx
10th September 2009

Toulouse non - to win
Toulouse looks so beautiful - I loved the shots of the street lamp, the floor mosaic, stained glass an d particularly the carousel. When you both get home, and this is a when not an if, you should try your hand at a book complete with beautiful photographs - you're so good at the descriptive stuff. Take care and love.
11th September 2009

Toulouse Lautrec
Ev wants to know if Toulouse Lautrec came from Toulouse??
11th September 2009

Toulouse Lautrec was born in Albi where we are today. The museum is first on the list after coffee. Love to you both. Joss

Tot: 0.045s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 8; qc: 23; dbt: 0.026s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb