Grotty drive which should have been scenic but was spoiled, nearly all the way, by wet, wet weather.


Advertisement
France's flag
Europe » France » Midi-Pyrénées » Rocamadour
September 18th 2017
Published: September 18th 2017
Edit Blog Post

Started raining in the early hours and had to leap out of bed to retrieve my swimming things which were supposedly drying outside. Still raining as we left the campsite and set off for the Lot / Dordogne.



Route was to take us through some lovely places and countryside but hard to see the scenery most of the way as we had either very low cloud or drizzle or heavy rain. Quite depressing really as forecast had shown it better further north but the nasty clouds just kept following us. Had a few bright moments with patches of blue sky when the rain stopped for a few miles but it soon enough started again.



Discovered this morning that our surprise at seeing so much snow on the Pyrenees yesterday was justified. It has snowed there for last 3 days, first snow in the Pyrenees in September in living memory.

Everyone is in agreement that the weather in France this summer has been pretty dreadful, cold, lots of rain and not enough sun.



We had to detour a few miles before Albi on the road from Castres. A grain truck had overturned (Google is so good isn’t it) and the road was closed for 6 hours. The diversion, handled by a few gendarmes, was most efficiently set up and caused no delay. There are (according to Google) frequent and often fatal accidents on this stretch which explains the most unusually high number of speed camera all along the route.



We drove pretty well due north most of the way, through Maxamet, over the Black mountains, then via Castres and then the detour, to Albi. Past Cordes-sur-Ciel and through Laquepie, Villfrance-de-Roueque, Figeac and then the last 20 miles to the campsite at Thegra. We’ve been along some of the route on other trips and on a sunny day it is delightful but today it was rather tiring especially when driving down steep windy roads with signs warning they are slippery in the rain !

Just before Figeac I reminded Bob we had said last year, when driving through, it would be a good place to visit. Contemplated stopping at the Camping Cheque site there as there is no Acsi site but then decided to carry on to and maybe, drive down in Tandy tomorrow, as too far to scooter.

We have now made a note that instead we must spend some time next trip exploring the Lot valley, including Figeac, as we never have so far.



Bad news at our planned campsite stop. All the pitches were soggy as there has been so much rain. A couple which are in more sun were suggested. Bob tried one, half way on decided it was a very bad idea and sure enough wheels spinning in the muddy surface. Fortunately he has been carrying gripper mats for ages without having to try them out. They work and Tandy returned to the hard road.

Campsite man suggested another area where we could park on hard standing but Tandy did not like the route it had to take to get to it. After all never a good idea to drive a 2.9 metre Motorhome under 2.8 metre trees. After breaking off a few branches Bob decided to abandon ship or in this case the campsite and I retrieved the Acsi card and we drove off. Hope they cancelled our baguette order for tomorrow.



Bob had found another campsite near by, Camping Padimadour just near Rocamadour and it is absolutely excellent. Can’t fault it and actually better than the planned campsite so we are very happy again. Pool is heated (lovely and warm), heat being kept in by a cover which was removed just for me ! Wifi is free. Water just by the pitch. Sanitaires 1 minute away.

We will be adding this site to our recommended let’s stay here again list.

What made Bob’s mind up about staying was when the owner said if we did get stuck (but he chose us as dry a pitch as he could anyway) he could pull us off with a tractor !





To restore our happy holiday mood, the nasty clouds seem to have gone whence they came, the sky turned blue and is now clear and good weather is expected for next few days. We plan a visit to lovely Rocamadour tomorrow on Kisbee and if weather does stay good may stay another day.



PS My photos of the drive don't really show how grotty the weather was as it is pretty difficult persuading my camera to take photos through a windscreen without focusing only on the raindrops and while also avoiding the frequent sweep of the wipers !


Additional photos below
Photos: 18, Displayed: 18


Advertisement



19th September 2017
Rather a good tree tunnel

Wow, great shot
Fantastic road. Wow
19th September 2017
Rather a good tree tunnel

Trees
Thank you, I was rather pleased with the way they lined up for me. xx

Tot: 0.085s; Tpl: 0.016s; cc: 11; qc: 25; dbt: 0.0599s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb