St-Malo to Pontorson


Advertisement
France's flag
Europe » France » Lower Normandy » Pontorson
September 4th 2021
Published: September 5th 2021
Edit Blog Post

The first day on the bikes! The route followed the coast for the first two thirds of the way. Initially there was a series of sandy bays, but when we got into the bay of Mont St Michel, the shoreline became very marshy. There was a heavy mist over the sea, which made the offshore views very other-worldly. We didn't catch sight of the Mont all day.

This is area where huge numbers of oysters are harvested. Closer to shore, special salt-resistant sheep are raised. (Seriously!)

Once we turned inland, we were riding through rolling on small roads through rolling farm country. It was so reminiscent of the southern English countryside.

Pontorson is a small but wealthy town. Our hotel has a creperie on the ground floor, so we ate Breton crepes (in Normandy) for dinner.


Additional photos below
Photos: 2, Displayed: 2


Advertisement



7th September 2021

Map showing your progress
I guess you decided to give Mont St Michel a miss. It takes a day, really, with the tides and all. I tried to look at the Google Map attached to your posts, but it hasn't been enabled. Are you able to do that? It would be fun to chart your progress on a map of France! Did you get your pass sanitaire, or whatever they call it? All the best - Teresa
11th September 2021

Hi, Teresa - I just created a map, and will try to keep it up to date. It's at http://www.travelblog.org/gmaps/map_jix.html. Mont St Michel was completely invisible in the mist the day we rode by it! No news on the pass sanitaire yet. Fortunately we've been able to get a couple of dinners at our accommodations - it seems you don't need the pass for that.
11th September 2021

Map showing your progress
Thanks, Rick! Looks like you are making good progress! Nice to be able to eat at your accommodations without having to go out again to find a restaurant when you are tired after a long day of riding.
12th September 2021

Love the salty sheep and did you hurt your typing hand?
Hey Rick and Lynn - glad you made it over safely and got on your way, though there’s not much to indicate you haven’t holed up in some boulangerie somewhere. Is everything ok? Whereabouts are you? All is well here now that the bulk of the smoke has cleared out.
12th September 2021

Sorry for the sparse postings, Shelley! Between spending our time riding and recuperating, and lately eating, drinking & chatting with our friends here, I've been hard-pressed to make time for blogging. I'll post a brief update imminently.

Tot: 0.097s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 13; qc: 53; dbt: 0.0582s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb