The beaches of Normandy


Advertisement
France's flag
Europe » France » Lower Normandy » Caen
May 29th 2012
Published: May 29th 2012
Edit Blog Post

Today was completely devoted to the history of the Allied invasion of lower Normandy, during and after D-day. This was my main purpose in coming to Caen, to see the beaches where so many people gave their lives and to gain a better understanding of the scope of the battles that were so decisive in the battle for Europe.

Most of the tripwas spent at the Omaha(American) section of the battle field, with several stops heading eastward back to Caen. In the photos I've posted you will see photos of a cliff near the beaches. This is where the Rangers were sent in to climb the cliff and clear the way for the rest of the soldiers, thought bad weather reeked havoc on those plans. The small craters you see are actually blast cratersfrom Allied bombing and most of the equipment I've shown is original German equipment.

Hours and hours of WW2 history. The American cemetary sends goosebumps up your spine, its just beautifully created. Oh my gosh how I loved it. The beaches are so beautiful, it's hard to believe they were the site of such carnage.

Along the way we passed the locally famous Normandy cows and we're then of course obliged to try some of the locally made salted caramel


Additional photos below
Photos: 8, Displayed: 8


Advertisement



Tot: 0.054s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 7; qc: 24; dbt: 0.033s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb