Day Seven - No Blue Bayeux on Gail's Birthday


Advertisement
Europe » France » Lower Normandy » Bayeux
December 27th 2012
Published: March 23rd 2013
Edit Blog Post

No worries about freezing in our room last night. The bathroom nuclear zone was keeping not just our room but part of the hallway nice and toasty. We almost didn't need to towel dry after our showers. The water evaporated quickly. Outisde our hotel window the parking lot was dry as well. There was even a glimmer of sun out over the Channel. It looked to be a rather promising day weather-w... Read Full Entry



Photos are below
Photos: 113, Displayed: 21


Advertisement

The French Version of a BoardwalkThe French Version of a Boardwalk
The French Version of a Boardwalk

In retrospect our diversion over to Deauville accomplished nothing other than to give my passengers a nice nap. Of all the many places we'd seen so far that warranted a return visit, this was pretty....meh. Even had we found a place to park in town, there wasn't much to do but walk around and envy the rich 1 percenters.
Back in BayeuxBack in Bayeux
Back in Bayeux

The girls got some more nappy time as we headed back West after our brief foray into Deauville. We wanted to get back to that interesting-looking cafe that we had scouted near the cathedral. As usual, despite the GPS we ended-up getting routed everywhere but to our intended destination because of the wacky one way street system in town. When we finally made our way back to the cathedral we found nowhere to park which necessitated another long trip around the block while looking for an available parking spot. I thought we had been re-routed back to England when we parked near this unique phonebooth.
Dinner Awaits Us Somewhere Up This StreetDinner Awaits Us Somewhere Up This Street
Dinner Awaits Us Somewhere Up This Street

Days after Christmas it still seemed like the town was shutdown for the holidays. We walked through a near ghost town as we navigated our way back to the cafe. For a change we were not the first patrons of the night. The tiny 10 table restaurant actually had two other tables with customers sitting down to eat. We were put in the vacant back room where our American voices would not upset the local Norman diners.
One of My All-Time FavoritesOne of My All-Time Favorites
One of My All-Time Favorites

One cannot go to France and not sample the French Onion soup. Along with my cold frosty mug of holiday beer I got things started with a big bowl of delicious, cheesy onion soup. You can make out the steam coming off my spoon.
No, Cassie Is NOT Picking Her NoseNo, Cassie Is NOT Picking Her Nose
No, Cassie Is NOT Picking Her Nose

Our meal started with a big basket of French bread which we polished off in seconds. Cassie displays the last crumb. Meanwhile, Gail is trying to show the advertisement for the tasty Leffe Christmas beer we both ordered.
An Unusual DessertAn Unusual Dessert
An Unusual Dessert

Once again we wre so famished that we forgot to photograph our dinners. Although they were delicious and beautifully presented, the portions were not American-sized. Since we were still hungry we decided to get a more substantial dessert than usual. We got this platter featuring the local cheeses from the Bayeux area. Maybe we should've requested that candles be put on the cheese in honor of Gail's birthday.
Thank You for a Great DinnerThank You for a Great Dinner
Thank You for a Great Dinner

We were done with our meals and out of the restaurant by 8 pm. Exiting the cafe we found the town was still dead. We thought about going back inside the cathedral again, but after such a full day of sctivities we were much more interested in getting back to the hotel for the night.



Tot: 0.141s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 12; qc: 26; dbt: 0.0869s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb