Bayeux and the Normandy D-Day beaches


Advertisement
France's flag
Europe » France » Lower Normandy » Bayeux
October 11th 2011
Published: October 12th 2011
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0


We headed to Bayeux for the sole purpose of visiting the Dday beaches and getting the full tour. We booked a half day tour ahead of time and were told to wait outside out hotel for 8:30 am.. The driver finally showed up at about 9 due to bad traffic apparently downtown. Our driver looked 19 and fresh out of school but we had a combined age in the van of over 300 due to all the other 4 people on our tour who ended up being all very nice.

The weather was apparently very similar to June 6th 1944. Wet, rainy and bleek but we like the invaders mangaed to forge through it and get to see everything we wanted. Point de Hoc, which was bombarded for hours before a group of 200 rangers were sent first to take out 7 big guns, hold the area and fight off and 1000 men before the official beach landings could occur.. it looked like moon craters.. Omaha beach, Where the US Allied forces landed on June 6th and The American war cemetary where there are over 9000 graves of the fallen whos families decided they wanted them buried here and not brought back. It was very peaceful and beautiful but it also made you appreciate the sacrifice they made to give us the freedome we have today.

After that we went for a walk in Bayuex because there is really nothing else to do in this town as it is filled with very old people lol We were the youngest couple by far.

We cant wait to get out of tthis hotel as the bed is awful and the TV is all in French of BBC Gameshow channel.


Additional photos below
Photos: 7, Displayed: 7


Advertisement



Tot: 0.043s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 8; qc: 26; dbt: 0.0245s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb