Normandy and D Day Landing Beaches


Advertisement
France's flag
Europe » France » Lower Normandy » Bayeux
June 27th 2008
Published: June 27th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Bayeax is another beautiful town which was lucky to remain unscathed by the war. It has a Notre Dame Cathedral I almost think more beautiful from the Parisian one inside if my memory servies me right from 15 yrs ago. We will see in a few days.

The D Day memorials from WWII are very moving particularly the cemeteries. We visited Arromanche which still has lots of reminders on the beach of the launch onto it beaches. Also saw Omaha which has an amazing Memorial Museum in the American cemetery with films and lots of stories of individual soldiers. It is very moving and very well done. We then visited the German cemetery which is totally different and a lot less busy. We visited the Commonwealth cemetery in Bayeux the night before which was a beautiful cemetery too with beautiful embossed limestone crosses with their respective units arms. We found 3 NZ crosses which was really moving to see mongst all the others.

It has been an interesting visit to Normandy, favourites have to be Mont St Michel and the American & Commonwealth cemeteries.


Additional photos below
Photos: 7, Displayed: 7


Advertisement



Tot: 0.269s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 8; qc: 43; dbt: 0.0817s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb