Cevennes Mountains


Advertisement
France's flag
Europe » France » Languedoc-Roussillon » Nîmes » Lasalle
April 16th 2009
Published: April 18th 2009
Edit Blog Post

A Walk About


Today was a day of rest. After pulling my weight at the farm for a few days I stayed at home to watch Cheyene while Atoussa went to work on the farm. The work will be more spread out now since the surprise arrival of Paul’s two brothers Damien and Greg. Paul had not seen Greg in five years because he has been living out in California. Damien lives in Italy and Greg game to visit for Easter. They decided to make a surprise trip to Lasalle to see their brother and nephews. Atoussa was let in on the secret the day before and cleaned Paul’s house while he worked outside. Paul made lasagna, thinking that Atoussa, Susana, Robert, Cheyen and I would be coming by for dinner. But alas, he did not know that he was actually preparing dinner for his brothers.
They arrived around 5:00 and Atoussa and I stayed the night sipping Roche Mazet Carbernet, rolling cigarettes and sharing stories. The general good cheer was enough to make everyone happy and at ease. It was quite an impromptu party and we stayed up late into the night on the terrace around the fire.
When I awoke this morning we returned to Atoussa’s house in the village. Atoussa left me in charge of Cheyen and went back to the farm. After a nap I awoke, made lunch for Cheyen and then we all went for a walk.
In the Lasalle an alley is not an alley. It becomes a winding stone trail that rises into the mountains and forests. Cheyen, his friend Madi, Robert, Susana and I took an hour or so up the steep path. The stones were old and covered and moss. Trees sprang up in the path and old abandoned houses dotted the landscape, hidden away in the silent temple of the forest. We were going up to see a chateau that Robert had discovered early this morning. He and Susana have done much exploring of the surrounding area while here. They talk of perhaps settling here when the baby is born and I couldn’t think of a better place to raise a child.
Once we reached the top of the mountain the chateau revealed itself in its abundance. Work was being done and windows were open with clothes hanging out to dry. A dog barked in the distance and Cheyen and Madi claimed it was guarding. We soon turned around and parted ways from Robert and Suana. The children were tired and wanted to return to the house.
We made our way down the path in haste and returned to the village through the same alley. Many villagers were out. It was a fine day and the weather balmy. Or one might say, “Il fait beau.” As we approached the square Cheyen ran up to a fountain. “The sign is for the tourists but the water is fine to drink. He stood on the edge of the fountain and leaned forward, catching the water in his mouth. Madi followed suite and held the water in her hands, bringing it to her mouth to refresh herself. They ran up the street and waited for me in the doorway.
Atoussa had returned home and the children went back to their video games.



Additional photos below
Photos: 60, Displayed: 24


Advertisement



18th April 2009

Wishing I was there
I am glad you are having such a rich adventure.

Tot: 0.053s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 6; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0248s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb