The Grand Molitg Hotel


Advertisement
Published: July 7th 2015
Edit Blog Post

How considerate that they don't turn the fountains on until 8am in the morning at the Grand Molitg Hotel! We woke gently to the lovely trickling sound, thanks to leaving our French doors wide open last night to let the cool mountain air in. By the time we'd got out of the lovely fluffy robes and were ready to move, however, it was mid-morning and breakfast at the hotel was off. That was a good incentive to walk up the very steep road to the town of Molitg to see what was on offer there.

Just about the only people we encountered were a couple of girls on horseback, clopping over the cobblestones in front of the lovely church. We saw the most amazing house, built around a huge boulder, but food was on our minds. There was not a thing open, and when I did finally spy a lady who looked like a local, she informed me that the bakery was open Monday, Wednesday and Friday from 4-5.30pm, and that the pizzeria was good but not open on Sundays - and "Some other days aussi". A little epicerie that we found in a back street was "Ferme pour la bapteme des enfants" - For 4 days!

By then it was getting hot and I wasn't the only one getting 'hangry', as Isabel loves to call it. Luckily, on the way down the hill we discovered a shady pedestrian trail down some stairs which led straight to the Chateau de Riell. They were kind enough to bring us croissants and Café au lait chaud on the terrace, which kept us going quite well for a few more hours.

We amused ourselves at the pool in the afternoon, which sat on the edge of the cliff with spectacular views. It was a very lazy afternoon, actually, spent reading and chatting. Night falls so late here that it was still bright sunlight when we walked up the secret walkway linking the hotel with the Chateau de Riell at dinner time. We were treated to a magnificent meal with all the trimmings - amuse bouche, tempura escargot and magnificent petit fours which we could not refuse even after a fantastic dessert. The absolute highlight, however, was the pigeon entrée. Slices of pigeon breast, layered with fois gras and arranged en croute to look like a chicken leg. It was served with shaved celery salad and the jellied cooking juices along with some redcurrant jelly. It was so good that the rest of the meal didn't really matter!

After dinner, we got a little way down the secret path before the pitch black tunnel under the road spooked us both, and we made the very sensible decision to walk home along the road. We were glad we did, as we were treated to a spectacular twilight view of the little medieval chapel, where mass is still said at 5pm every Sunday. Another good day.


Additional photos below
Photos: 18, Displayed: 18


Advertisement

The fountains came on at 8amThe fountains came on at 8am
The fountains came on at 8am

A lovely way to wake up
Nooks and cranniesNooks and crannies
Nooks and crannies

There were so many lovely little places to catch the sun or the shade
Chateau de Riell Chateau de Riell
Chateau de Riell

From the secret walkway


Tot: 0.096s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 10; qc: 29; dbt: 0.0572s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb