La mas de Foussargues


Advertisement
France's flag
Europe » France » Languedoc-Roussillon » Foussargues
October 8th 2013
Published: October 10th 2013
Edit Blog Post

Keith, Michelle & RossKeith, Michelle & RossKeith, Michelle & Ross

My two darling boys
Yours truly, Kev & Ross enjoyed a walk around Avignon before heading to the TGV station to pick up our hire car and meet Keith off the train he'd caught from CDG having flown in from Australia that morning. Then, with Kev driving, we headed off to Uzès for some grocery shopping, and from there to Foussargues where the house I'd rented for the week to celebrate my 70th birthday was situated.

Not long after settling ourselves in, Nicola and Margot arrived having caught a later TGV to Avignon and then a taxi. By around 11.30pm or thereabouts Katherine, Thomas, Sienna & Evie arrived having flown from Copenhagen to Marseille where they picked up a hire car for the drive to join us.

So with the partial family together on Wednesday all of us, except Keith & Ross, went to Uzès to do some shopping. Uzès is a charming medieval city, the self proclaimed first duchy of France and site of the source of water which flowed through the Pont du Gard on its way to Nîmes in Roman times. Full of goodies for food lovers, there are markets held in the Place aux Herbes every Wednesday and Saturday and where we decided to buy most of what we felt we couldn't do without! As you can imagine we're been eating very well with Ross, Keith and Nicola - with some help from Margot- doing most of work.

Thursday we headed off the see the World Heritage Pont de Gard, the tallest aqueduct in the Roman world - 360 m long, 50m high on 3 levels - built in a mere five years. It is believed that construction took place between 40-50 CE. What a magical site; I was intrigued and could have stayed there all day exploring. This time all of us went although I don't think that it was quite so interesting to Sienna & Evie as it was to me.

Our last 'chore' before relaxing was to drive to the village of St Chaptes to the local Boucherie & Charcuterie where we went to buy a rabbit which Kev intends to cook for us before the week is up.

Tomorrow my darling Kerrii, Grace & Rupert arrive from New York so then, apart from my darling first born Andrea and my other darling son-in-law Seb, everyone will be here. As I write this I'm feeling very mellow with two glasses of very nice white wine under my belt. Dinner tonight was beautiful, as every meal has been so far and really I've done none of the preparation or the cooking. So I'm very very blessed...and loving every minute of it!


Additional photos below
Photos: 22, Displayed: 22


Advertisement

Le Jardin de CheminLe Jardin de Chemin
Le Jardin de Chemin

Which we've booked for the week
Margot & Michelle Margot & Michelle
Margot & Michelle

She's arrived and to prove it, here she is!
Let's have a coffee first!Let's have a coffee first!
Let's have a coffee first!

Nicola, Michelle, Kevin, Katherine, Thomas, Evie & Sienna fuel up before we hit the market stalls
Mum & dad with our 'baby' Mum & dad with our 'baby'
Mum & dad with our 'baby'

Katherine's 30th birthday is three days before Christmas; where have those years gone?
The cheese stall at the Uzès marketsThe cheese stall at the Uzès markets
The cheese stall at the Uzès markets

Where we spent a fortune on beautiful cheeses
Canoeists on the River GardonCanoeists on the River Gardon
Canoeists on the River Gardon

Having just paddled under the Pont du Gard
The Pont du GardThe Pont du Gard
The Pont du Gard

From Uzès to Nîmes; a marvel of a Roman aqueduct
Meat at St Chaptes Boucherie & Charcuterie Meat at St Chaptes Boucherie & Charcuterie
Meat at St Chaptes Boucherie & Charcuterie

Where we bought our "lapin" which Kev just had to have


10th October 2013

Don't forget Seb!
You can't be saying everyone's there except us when Seb isn't mentioned...
10th October 2013

Seb
Oops, I did realise my mistake once I'd published that! M xx
10th October 2013

Feeling a bit envious
Michelle, Vivienne's cousin has just dined at a fabulous Paris restaurant that you might like to check out www.julienparis.com/en
10th October 2013

Happy 70th!
Hi Michelle, sounds like the family is gathering - happy 70th! What a wonderful way to celebrate! Making beautiful memories with loved ones all around. Have a blast.
11th October 2013

Seb
Just a reminder that I love you as much as everyone else - the wine had me befuddled!

Tot: 0.291s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 19; qc: 72; dbt: 0.1285s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb