Fonseranne Staircase to


Advertisement
France's flag
Europe » France » Languedoc-Roussillon » Beziers
October 3rd 2017
Published: October 3rd 2017
Edit Blog Post

Our plan was to go down in the afternoon session of the Fonserannes Staircase of locks, rather than the 8am – 9:30am session, because there had been several boats in front of us when we arrived last night. When we were first up, as we were moving the boat to where you queue at 8:30, we saw that the lock was open and one boat was in there already so we decided to go straight in.

The boats ahead of us were halfway down and there were at least 3 lock keepers so they must be able to manage several basins of boats at once, rather than having one set get through all before starting the next as you have to when there is only 1 lock keeper. The whole process of going down 7 basins, with 3 boats, took about 40 minutes.

At the bottom of the staircase, we moored on the side of the canal in order to have our breakfast as we hadn’t had time to have it at the top of the staircase due to our unplanned descent.

Setting off again, we went through a few locks and then over the aqueduct leading into Beziers and then through a couple of locks leading into the port of Beziers. These locks were very deep ones with a “fireman’s pole” to loop the boat rope around and slide down on, rather than a bollard at the top of the lock. Besides the lock there was an area where locals were playing a game of boules.

There were fees to moor at Beziers Marina, even for a few hours so we continued on until we came to a lock that was closed (as it was lunch time) and we moored beside it to have a late lunch.

After a relaxing break, we motored onwards through 2 locks and then stopped at the nearby town of Villeneuve-les-Beziers, where we got out and had a walk around and then moored for the night.



There were quite a few ducks swimming around the back of the boat here, as well as some sort of muskrat/water rat type animal.


Additional photos below
Photos: 19, Displayed: 19


Advertisement



3rd October 2017

Viewing photos
Great shots and commentry as always. Coments back on line today. Whent off yesterday. Had to use messenger. Are the canals one way or two? Enjoy your journey. Love modris as always from the three of us.
4th October 2017

The canals are2 ways and can be very narrow in parts. It is especially hard where there are tree branches overhanging that swipe you as you go past ?
3rd October 2017

Locks
Love all the pictures of locks and scenery but you can keep the rat! Do you have time to relax and read as you slowly go by? I always envisaged a relaxed holiday in a canal boat motoring slowly along beside beautiful scenery with book in hand should I wish to read, sipping copious cups of tea. Did I get it all wrong?
4th October 2017

Completely! ?

Tot: 0.068s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 8; qc: 33; dbt: 0.0389s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb