Elodie Day 1 Paris - Bassin de la Villette to Pont de Sevres


Advertisement
France's flag
Europe » France » Île-de-France
October 1st 2017
Published: October 1st 2017
Edit Blog Post

Happy Snaps GaloreHappy Snaps GaloreHappy Snaps Galore

Jenny capturing Pru and Ian. Me capturing someone's hand.
Oh what a delightful day (except for the odd hiccup for some). After a relaxing morning which included a lovely walk around the North Marais area (where Kerrie found some yummy baklava) we packed up and headed for the Elodie. Now this should have been a simple 20min Uber ride and it was for some. For Mike and Kerrie it was somewhat different as they got a renegade Uber driver who took them for an (un)guided tour of the outer suburbs of Paris. Two and a half hours later, they arrived at Elodie and were remarkably calm considering the experience they had just endured!!!

We met the rest of the Elodie team, now consisting of:

Mike & Jenny, Mike & Kerrie, Brian & Jenny, Pru & Ian, Jonathan & Maureen, Tim and Ingrid, Warwick and Kathy, Pru and Vicki.

The Elodie crew are Captain: Chiel, Chef: Jantien and Guide: Henry. Mirjam was there to assist with getting through the eight locks down to the Seine and then left us to catch the train back to Amsterdam.

Day 1 onboard was interesting, picturesque and fun. We found ourselves as the centre of interest for tourists and locals as
Departure PointDeparture PointDeparture Point

Bassin de la Villette
we manoeuvred through the 9 locks. We had a small incident with one of the lock gates but no serious damage was done. The Elodie is the largest boat that can fit through the locks and it is a tight squeeze. Well done to Captain Chiel!!

The trip through the long tunnel under the Bastille was fascinating (if a little chilly) and then we burst out into the Seine and headed downstream past Notre Dam, the Louvre, the Eiffel Tower to berth at Pont de Sevres for the night.

Dinner was beautifully presented and delicious and the chatter and laughter emanating from both tables was clear evidence the group has clicked instantly and I think we are in for a lot of fun for the next two weeks.

Sweet dreams, tomorrow we start the bike riding and we face the biggest hills of the whole trip. (Why do French Kings think they have to build their Palaces on the top of hills!?!)


Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement

Entering the tunnelEntering the tunnel
Entering the tunnel

Canal St Martin


Tot: 0.117s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 6; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0642s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 2; ; mem: 1.3mb