Bad Moon Rising


Advertisement
France's flag
Europe » France » Île-de-France
July 16th 2013
Published: August 29th 2017
Edit Blog Post

Geo: 48.8566, 2.35097

This morning we headed out for Musee d'Orsay, which is located on the left bank of the Seine River. On our last trip to Europe we had tried to visit this museum on two occasions but on each time it was unexpectedly closed. We had joked that it wasn't really a museum, rather, some kind of portal into another dimension.

The museum is housed in the former Gare d'Orsay, an old railway station built between 1898 and 1900. The museum holds mainly French art dating from 1848 to 1915, including paintings, sculptures, furniture, and photography. It houses the largest collection of impressionist and post-impressionist masterpieces in the world, by such painters such as Monet, Manet, Degas, Renoir, Cezanne, Seurat, Sisley, Gaugin and Van Gogh.

Kim particularly liked the Monet Water Lily paintings, having visited Monet's Garden, where these were painted, the previous day. For me, I liked Van Gogh's Starry Night Over the Rhone.

We enjoyed a great lunch in the museum restaurant, before continuing our visit to the museum, leaving around 3-30pm. We then headed back to our unit for a rest where we met up with the Lwins. After a couple of
Musee d'Orsay Musee d'Orsay Musee d'Orsay

a former railway station.
hours rest, we headed out and had dinner on our famous street where our unit is located, Rue Montorgueil, before heading for the River Seine. One of Monet's most famous paintings is the Rue Montorgueil, which we viewed today in Musee d'Orsay.

We walked along the river, then headed for the Latin Quarter, where we had ice creams/gelato. We then waited on one of the Seine Ponts for the Eiffel Tower to light up, took some photos, and then headed for the Louvre to take photos in the square. Eerily, a crescent moon appeared between the clouds over the Louvre as I was taking photos. Bad moon rising.

We headed for home from the Louvre at around 11.15pm, and arrived home around 11.30pm.

Another big day out, and only one day left in Paris and of our 2013 European holiday.


Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement



Tot: 0.049s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 5; qc: 28; dbt: 0.0316s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb