How to Get Around in Paris


Advertisement
France's flag
Europe » France » Île-de-France
July 19th 2017
Published: July 19th 2017
Edit Blog Post

The most legendary vacation destination in the Western world, Paris has a personality and atmosphere unlike any other city in history. Songs, poems, movies and books have been written about the unbelievable charm and unforgettable beauty of the City of Lights, but all fall short of describing the actual experience of being in the city.

If you have visited Paris before, you may be familiar with the sort of longing that is left with a person after departure and feel as though you have to return to regain that indescribable feeling. If this is your first trip to la Ville des Lumieres, you should prepare for a once in a lifetime type of experience that cannot be matched at any other sort of destination.



But whether you are an experienced European traveller or you are visiting this part of the world for the first time, you will need to know how to get around once you reach the city. There is so much to do, see and experience that it is impossible to take it all in, no matter how long your stay, but the right sort of planning can help you get the most out of your time there.

This guide is designed to go over a few of the best transportation options for travelling around Paris, and each has its own pros and cons. To get the most of your Paris vacation, your travel will likely involve a combination of several of the following methods, and it is important to familiarize with each as much as possible before arrival.

On Foot




No matter the location, the only way to truly experience all that any city has to offer is by walking around, but this is especially true in Paris. It has more personality and charm than any other city in Europe, and this can only be experienced in a real and personal way by walking the legendary streets of Paris. Walking throughout the city is the only way to get a sense of all the subtleties that make Paris one of the most storied cities in history.


Of course, while walking is the only way to take in all of the sights, sounds and smells that make Paris special, it is obviously not practical to spend your entire vacation on foot. It is a large city, and you will need to seek additional travel techniques to reach all of your intended destinations within a reasonable timeframe and with the energy left to enjoy them.

Metro/Bus




Paris has one of the more efficient public transportation systems in the world, and the flagship of this system is the Parisian Metro. It is fast and affordable, and the Metro provides the best way to travel relatively long distances within the city with little money and effort. With nearly 300 total stations, you should be able to reach within a few blocks of just about any destination in the city with this technique.

A similar option is the bus system, which is one of the largest and most popular public transportation modes in all of Europe. It provides many of the same benefits as the Metro-- efficiency, affordability, regularity-- but with the advantage of being above ground so visitors can actually see the city. Because of its massive scale, the bus system is one of the more complex transportation systems and it can be easy to get lost. Fortunately, both the Metro and bus systems use a simple color-coding system that can be easily understood, even if you do not speak the language.

car




You always have the option of renting a car, but Paris traffic can be notoriously bad and unpredictable. If you are unfamiliar with the city streets, this may not be the best option. But when personalized motor transport is necessary, you may be better off with a taxi Paris as taxis are not easily hailed like they are in New York, but you can always call ahead, arrange a ride with a smartphone app or approach one of the many taxi stands in the city.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.531s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 10; qc: 48; dbt: 0.1263s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 3; ; mem: 1.3mb