Concluding days in France


Advertisement
France's flag
Europe » France » Île-de-France
February 24th 2016
Published: February 24th 2016
Edit Blog Post

Fontainebleau to Paris: another 5 hour journey but we could not leave without a walk in the palace gardens and a closer look at the Chateau (palace) plus warm croissants straight from the ovens below our apartment. Sadly the palace was closed Tuesday's so we could not go in. It is apparently considerably unchanged and was lived in continuously from the 1200s until 1860 Hence this uniqueness together with its splendour has awarded this UNESCO Workd Heritage listing.

Hence, our wonderful adventure is drawing to a close as we brave the traffic into Paris, drop off our luggage at Sophie's parents home and then drive to Charles de- Gaulle airport to return our wonderful little Peugeot car! Apart from forgetting to take some of the paperwork from our case, and some trouble finding the car place, all was negotiated safely. Then we caught the SNCF fast train into Paris City.

A return to Cathedral Notre Dame was always going to happen so why not first? St Michel station: the metro has made a few changes that seemed foreign at first! How beautiful is this amazing building, adorned almost entirely by the skill of its stonework and stained glass windows. A tour is tempting so we could scale the upper bastions of this amazing place (Probably next time as there is so much to see and not enough time: plus our funds are fast running out)

Voila there is a concert at the cathedral: we decided that we MUST go to it, so we spent the next few hours exploring the Parisian streets, drinking wine and coffee, eating Middle eastern food and amazing icecream, photographing amazing buildings, walking along the Seine and generally enjoying the busy streets of Paris, until it was time time to line up and purchase the precious tickets.

Bach concert performed by two sopranos, an alto and an organ: sublime voices and amazing acoustics. This is a never to be forgotten experience. With sublime music reverberatI got through our brains, we travelled on two trains to the house, where Sophie and her sister Alice and Jean-Marc had kindly waited up for us. We are staying in Alice's apartment which is only a few blocks away from her parents house. How lucky are we?


Additional photos below
Photos: 21, Displayed: 21


Advertisement

Chateau FontainbleauChateau Fontainbleau
Chateau Fontainbleau

UNESCO world heritage listed palace
Sadly it is shut Tuesday's Sadly it is shut Tuesday's
Sadly it is shut Tuesday's

We must return another time
PanoramaPanorama
Panorama

Our attempt to capture the size and overall effect of the main section
Side elevationSide elevation
Side elevation

Notice the garghols
Night panoramaNight panorama
Night panorama

We were sitting in the front section: sublime
The programThe program
The program

Not everyone's cup of tea but amazing for the lovers of choral work


Tot: 0.113s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 13; qc: 47; dbt: 0.0563s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.3mb