Paris Day #1 - Stairs, stairs, stairs and tops of a lot of buildings


Advertisement
France's flag
Europe » France » Île-de-France
August 4th 2015
Published: August 11th 2015
Edit Blog Post

Our day started early. We still were not familiar with the neighborhood we were in so we didn't really eat breakfast. Actually, mom bought some pastry things from a shop that was open when we were walking home the night before but I didn't know how to work the oven and there wasn't a microwave so we really didn't eat any of them. It was a nice thought though Gigi.

We got on the metro and followed the same route we did the night before. There were a few more people on the subway this morning but mom was able to find a seat so it wasn't packed.

We get to the tower and since mom is not going to walk up she found a bench. Alton was not going up either so went back to the restaurant we ate at the night before to eat breakfast while we walk up the Eiffel Tower.



Eiffel Tower

I tried to buy tickets online for the Eiffel Tower but they were all sold out. I have a theory that the tour companies buy the online tickets as soon as they come available. That being said we decided that we would walk to the first and second floors and see if we could make it to the Summit.

We arrived at 9:30 and the tower opens at 9 am so it was not packed but you could see people starting to show up. I looked to the right and I asked the guy what that line was for and he said that was the line to buy tickets to the lift. I did not know you could show up and buy tickets but I guess you can. The line to buy tickets was at least a hundred or so people deep and we had already decided to walk so we bought our tickets for the stairs.

As we walked we waved to Gigi down below but eventually she lost us.

The first floor was just under 300 steps. They are nice enough to mark the number of steps periodically for you. Thank you...really I didn't need to know.

The first floor was cool. They have a little gift shop, a cafeteria and a couple of sitting areas. They have these cute little swings that you can sit in but they were full so we didn't. There is a section of the floor that is glass. It was very different then when we were on the glass floor on the Tower Bridge. For some reason I didn't feel scared on the Tower Bridge but this glass floor was very scary to me. Maybe because all you saw was concrete and you could plummet to your death and be splattered all over concrete! Guess I just wanna go in water as opposed to concrete. Anyway, we took to obligatory foot picture and let the kids hop around on the glass floor.

We walked to the second floor which was another 300+ stairs. There were other people huffing and puffing along with me so I didn't feel so bad. Meanwhile the kids are bounding up the steps talking and laughing. I tell you, that saying youth is wasted on the young is so true. If I could have half of their energy!

We made it to the second floor and we walked around and read some of the markers they had around. I then saw a ticket booth. Can we buy a ticket to the Summit without buying a lift ticket to the 1st and 2nd floor? Heck yes we can!!

We waited in line for a good 45 minutes for the lift to the Summit. The line was very packed and there are notifications everywhere about pick pockets so it was very unnerving waiting in line. You think every bump is someone getting in your bag. Having to worry about that really took away from the experience if you ask me. I do not like having to look over my shoulder and I surely do not like to wear my backpack on my front. Just not my gig.

The elevator ride to the top was very cool and well worth the wait. It was a glass elevator and you got to see the world get smaller as to rose to the top. The lift ride took a little over a minute. I video taped it but I did not load it here. I have to open a YouTube account to link videos to this blog and I don't feel up to that just now.

We took our pictures at the top and then we were able to ride the lift all the way to the bottom.

The whole trip took a little over two hours. It was a lot of fun and well worth the time it took.

After we got down from the tower we ate lunch from the vendors around the Eiffel Tower. We sat at a little table with chairs and fake grass with the Eiffel Tower within sight. Moments like this are what makes the trip worth it. It was a pretty cool moment.



Big Bus Tour

We bought the Paris Pass which included a ride on the Big Bus tour. Since we didn't have a clue about where we were or where we should go I thought it might be a good idea to do this tour first so we can see everything and then choose where we were going to get off.

The problem with the Paris Pass and the Big Bus Tour is that you have to go downtown to get your ticket activated before you can get on the bus. The gentleman explained that we would have to get on the metro and go here and then there. He also told us he might be able to get one of the bus drivers to take us. Hello, ask a bus driver for us dear sir.

He asked the first and the second. Both said no. Maybe it was because we are Americans or maybe some liability issue or both. We don't know.

As we were walking away to start our tour of the metro system another bus pulled up. Kirby went and asked the guy if he could ask this bus driver. He did and the man said yes. Glory, glory!!

When you get on the bus they give you a map and headphones. The driver told us for English we should turn to channel 2. As you drive towards the next landmark they tell you the history of the building or monument. When they are not explaining they are playing neat French music.

We got to the Big Bus headquarters and they explained if we wait until 4 pm then we could ride all of today and all day tomorrow. Since it was only 3 pm we decided to wait until 4 pm. We found a Starbucks a block away. At this point in the day I could have dunked my face in a vat of Iced Carmel Macchiato! We freshed up in the bathroom, drank coffee on the sidewalk in their cute little chairs, used their Wifi and recharged.

We validated our tickets after 4 pm and got back on the bus. They drove us around a little bit and then we hopped off when we got off at the Notre Dame stop.



Notre Dame

The Paris Pass allowed us to enter the Notre Dame tour without any additional cost. This tour has a guide and will take you to the top of the Cathedral. I spoke to a lady that was in line and she said the last group would be taken at 6 pm. She followed that up with, 'but we have been waiting for 2 hours already.' Ok, we are going to take the free walking tour.

Notre Dame is still an active place of worship. People attend church and classes in the church so when walking through the cathedral you need to be respectful of the parishioners. They do not allow flash photography and ask that you are quiet.

When you first walk in they have these candle that you can buy for 2 euros. You can light the tea light and say a prayer. We let Kirby, Tim, Kelsey and Megan light a candle. They all said a silent prayer. To me that was again a precious moment that is etched in my mind. I don't know what their prayers were but I know what mine was. It's times like these when I think of Joretta (Kelsey and Megan's mom). I know she was with us. It's that little breeze that blows or that faint little hug you feel from time to time. She was there in that silent moment at the cathedral. I know it.

We walked around the cathedral and admired the stained glass windows, the structures and the sculptures.

If we had time I think an audio guide or the guided tour would have been time well spent. I would love to have learned more of the history of the Cathedral.



Love Lock Bridge

When I started planning the events for each city I asked the girls what they would like to do. Kelsey mentioned the Love Lock Bridge. Well, as Starling luck would have it the real Love Lock Bridge had all the locks removed because the weight was too much for the bridge.

Outside the Notre Dame cathedral just past the gardens is another bridge that people put locks on. Same thing different bridge.

Kelsey, Megan and Alton placed the lock on the bridge. It was a very sweet moment.

Mom placed one of the bridge for her and dad. The front of the lock said 'Alan and Glenda' and the back said 1966 for the year they were married.

We put one on the bridge also. The front said 'The Starlings' and the back had our initials, 'J, O, K, T' and the year 2001.



Arc de Triomphe

We hopped back on the Big Bus and we took hopped back off at the Arc de Triomphe.

By know you guys know I am not a history buff and I really can't tell you much about the Arc but I know it is a sight you should see before leaving Paris. So, here we are.

You cannot walk the actual road to the Arc. You have to go down the stairs to an underground passageway to get to the stairs that lead you up to the top of the Arc.

I thought that I had read about a lift at the Arc but the workers looked at me like I had lost my mind. Gigi said, 'I'm going so let's get up the stairs.' Alright Gigi, here we go.

To get to the top you walk a spiral staircase. This staircase just turns and turns and keeps going up and up. Mom walked and we rested, she walked more and rested a little bit more. Trust me, she was not the only one that took breaks on the stairs! I am pretty sure there were 278 steps. I could be off a little.

We were very proud of Gigi and chanted as she took the last step. We all took a break on the benches and then headed to the top. Up about 3 or 4 more flights or stairs.

We took our pictures and headed back down to the gift area section. Low and behold a lift! I asked the gentleman if we could ride the lift and wouldn't you know it, we could. We waited a little bit for the lift to come back and then we rode it down.

We stood in the middle of the Arc and did a little dance and then found our way back through the tunnel to where the Big Bus dropped us off.



Laduree's

Laduree's is famous for their macaroons. When in Paris it is a must to buy a macaroon from Laduree's. They are said to be the lightest and fluffiest macaroon's around.

As we rode the Big Bus we passed Laduree's. We knew where it was but we were not in the mood to walk anymore. After we left the Arc we hired pedi-cabs to take us down the street to Laduree's.

Now this is a sight to see, three pedi-cabs riding down Avenue de Champs-Elysees carrying a whole bunch of Starlings and Gigi to grab some macaroons.

You pass all these fancy stores like Louis Vuitton and a BMW store. We are waaay out of our element but we are going to get some macaroons.

We waited in line for about 30 minutes for our bag of fancy macroons and then decided it was time to get something to eat and head back to the apartment.



---

We were able to find our way back to that apartment pretty easily. We got back to the apartment a little after 10 pm. A 13 hour day of touring Paris. We were tired so we all pretty much went straight to bed.

Tomorrow we go to the Louvre, take a Thames River Cruise and drink wine at night at the Eiffel Tower.


Additional photos below
Photos: 33, Displayed: 30


Advertisement



Tot: 0.254s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 8; qc: 49; dbt: 0.1015s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.3mb