Refections on Paris and Champagne


COMING SOON HOUSE ADVERTISING ads_leader
France's flag
Europe » France » Île-de-France
April 16th 2015
Saved: June 10th 2020
Edit Blog Post

I can just about guarantee that this was my last trip to France. All went well, and I was treated just fine by almost all French people and other locals. In fact, over the several decades that I have visited, I notice that treatment of Americans and the prevalence of English language has made the trips marginally better over the years. Maybe all the die hard deGaulleists have died? As always, it is best to stick to the younger generations, less anti-American baggage in their trunk, so to speak.

I still am not crazy about eating in nice French restaurants. My suggestions or complaints go unheard, so I will just have to make a point in Trip Advisor or Yelp. Don't you think if a patron politely says the duck is too tough, they would try to fix the dish or replace it? They act like the duck is supposed to be tough, so tough luck on you!! And there is just too much pretense in most of these places. Why not just try to be friendly? Go to the more casual places!

As always, hotels in great neighborhood locations are older, with small rooms, and small bathrooms. Walls are thin, and floors are creaky. Some might call it charm, I just call it old (and sometimes smelly) and in need of some serious upgrades. I have been in Third World countries with better two and three star hotels than the four and fives I stayed on this and past trips.

But I must say the hotel staffs, particularly the younger staff, are most helpful and friendly. And this is pretty much true around the world. Even in places like St. Petersburg, Russia, the Serengeti, Cambodia, Rio, and Montreal, young people are curious to meet with and talk to Americans. And yes, I did get the question, "what are you from?" on several occasions. And yes, I did explain that I am an American, even though I may not "look" like an American to them!! Really, what does an American look like?

I flew Business First class both directions on United, with mixed results. The twelve hour flight over was very mediocre, but the trip back was much superior. Why? The helpfulness and friendliness of the flight attendants, of course. It helps that they have improved the service, though not the food. The best parts of the meals were the cheese and fruit plate after dinner, and the ice cream sundaes shortly thereafter. The lie-flat seats in a semi-circular cube are also quite nice for rest and privacy. The movie and music choices really need some work.

I noticed more Asians living in France on this trip, ex-pats if you will. Several of the champagne cave tours in Reims and Epernay were conducted by young women from Japan and China. Some are married to French men, others were single, seeking out a career in the French wine business. The problem as you might imagine, is having someone with a severe accent trying to speak French or English using wine terminology!!!

The number of people who still smoke is outrageous, young, old, and in the middle. Did they not get the memo from the U.S. Surgeon General? Of course, the sauce laden French diet is not the healthiest, and the only people out exercising are the youngsters. Nobody over the age of, let's say forty, was out trying to ride a bike or jog. The style of dress has become less formal over the years. Few men are in dark business suits anymore. T shirts, jeans and tennies are the uniform. Even American tourists are dressed better. And most of the young women under 40 are rather sloppy. And very few French women in business suits, telling me that women in France are still not inhabiting the executive suite as they are here in the U.S. Oh, and body odor on both sexes is still a problem, as bathing must have fallen out of favor. Again! But I do savor the casual French café style, sitting for hours with coffee or wine, watching the world go by. The neighborhood hangout is still popular. And in the finest French tradition, they never rush you through your drinks, dinner or conversation. But give me SE Asia or Latin America anytime. it is just more relaxing, less pretense, and a better comfort level. Foreign travel is a wonderful thing. Pick and choose your destinations carefully. Avoid the countries that harbor terrorists and extremists. Try to find a culture that you want to learn more about. Avoid packaged tours unless you are disabled, or do not know how to put your own trips together. But mainly, don't stop moving!!!

COMING SOON HOUSE ADVERTISING ads_leader_blog_bottom



Comments only available on published blogs

Tot: 0.066s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 12; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0357s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb